1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting in- Good Stats but Low-Tier Undergrad

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lulu8, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Lulu8

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My brother is pre-med at Marshall University in WV (yes, it really is my brother, not myself ;) ) Anyway, he's got a great gpa, summa cum laude, hopefully will have a decent MCAT and not very exciting extra cur's.

My questions is - does anyone know how much harder it is to get into medical school coming from an unknown/lower-tier undergrad like Marshall? I'm trying to advise him on his chances and schools to apply to based on my experience, but I don't know what it'll be like coming from his undergrad. I did a search on MDApplicants but only found 2 or 3 people from Marshall who had profiles.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. karmega5

karmega5 MS2
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Doesn't everyone know Marshall after the movie? ;)

It may or may not matter for the top tier medical schools, I don't know- but probably not too much. It won't keep him out of medical school- the reason for the MCAT is that it is standardized across all schools- so make sure he did well on that. Sometimes I think smaller schools might have an advantage in that smaller classes let you get to know profs better=better letters.

4. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some schools don't care that much. Others go as far as factoring in some sort of numerical value based on where you went for undergrad. Tell your brother to check with his premed advisors as to how his desired medical schools treat the undergrad institution.

5. RokChalkJayhawk

RokChalkJayhawk Muck Fizzou
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Marshall is a good school. I don't think there's any reason to worry.

6. Meltyman

Meltyman 7" Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It is much easier to do "well" at small, unknown schools; admission committees know this. Doing well on the MCAT will be especially important.