Getting insurance to approve 90837

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyHalcyon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now, anthem BCBS will not pay for 90837 and will only pay for 90834. I was told I could try to get approval by proving medical necessity. I have a few very complex cases who I feel strongly need the full hour. Anyone have experience (success or failure) or suggestions on how to go about getting approved to bill 90837? All the other insurance panels accept 90837 except for anthem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't ever seen medicaid cover 90837 in any states that I have worked and some medicaid is dropping psychotherapy altogether. You can try pushing for a time limited treatment as exposure therapy for anxiety. UHC, was reimbursing for limited 90837 under their standard plans for certain treatment. If it is chronic or long-term, you may ne banging your head against a wall with no chance, imo. GOOD LUCK.

Reactions: 1 user
Haven't ever seen medicaid cover 90837 in any states that I have worked and some medicaid is dropping psychotherapy altogether. You can try pushing for a time limited treatment as exposure therapy for anxiety. UHC, was reimbursing for limited 90837 under their standard plans for certain treatment. If it is chronic or long-term, you may ne banging your head against a wall with no chance, imo. GOOD LUCK.
Hmmm Medicaid covers all my 90837 cpt codes, except for anthem. I really hope that doesn't change where I'm working any time soon. I need more money! Sorry... I digress

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile