Getting into a CA pharmacy school from CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowcat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that most of the people on this board who've gotten into CA pharmacy schools already have their bachelors degree. I'm currently a sophomore at a private 4-year college here in CA ... I'll be leaving after this quarter, and will be taking Ochem and Physics at the local community college next year. (I'm self-supporting... I can't afford this college's crazy tuition anymore.)

Anyway! Back to the main point. Has anyone been accepted into a CA pharmacy school, without a bachelor's degree - straight from community college? I've been hearing stuff about how just about 99% of pharmacy school students already have their BA's and BS's? (BS'es... BS's.... es? s? not sure which. :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad.

Snowcat said:
It seems that most of the people on this board who've gotten into CA pharmacy schools already have their bachelors degree. I'm currently a sophomore at a private 4-year college here in CA ... I'll be leaving after this quarter, and will be taking Ochem and Physics at the local community college next year. (I'm self-supporting... I can't afford this college's crazy tuition anymore.)

Anyway! Back to the main point. Has anyone been accepted into a CA pharmacy school, without a bachelor's degree - straight from community college? I've been hearing stuff about how just about 99% of pharmacy school students already have their BA's and BS's? (BS'es... BS's.... es? s? not sure which. :laugh: )

It will be very hard.

Im at UCSD now, but I applied this year with nothing but CC courses on my record. I got interviews to a few places, but im waitlisted at all of them. I think not having a degree hurt me, but getting in is defienatly doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was helping out at usc's interview in march and they showed us a statistic of ppl who were interviewed/accepted last year. Out of our class of 187, 0 came directly from a CC. Their reasoning behind this is b/c they wanted someone that is more mature. :eek: But i think it'll definitely help if u have a bachelor's. good luck

I know someone who was in his 3rd year of college in UC and got accepted in Boston. So he did not have to finish his Bachelor's before going to Pharmacy school. It's doable but given the high number of competitive applicants each year, it gets harder.

Thanks. I'm going to try apply once I'm done with Ochem and Physics - if I don't get in, I'll keep working towards my bachelor's and keep applying.