Getting into a Caribbean school early...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in college and have taken General Biology 1& 2, General Chemistry 1 & 2, and Organic Chemistry 1 & 2, as well as Human Anatomy & Physiology. Recently, I've had the urge to expedite the medical school application/acceptance process, and I have been informed that there are several Caribbean medical schools that will accept students who have not earned bachelor's degrees or taken the MCAT. My GPA is currently 3.65.

My questions are, which Caribbean schools will accept someone lacking the above described application components (MCAT and bachelor's degree), and would any reputable schools accept someone who hasn't taken Physics? Finally, how soon could I start school? Could I possibly get accepted for Winter/Spring 2008 semester (classes initiating in January)?

I want to go into primary care, so the common FMG residency concerns wouldn't be relevant (unless, of course, residency spots for FMGs fade significantly!). I also don't mind spending two years in the Caribbean.

Any help would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

It is very unwise to not finish a BS degree before going to medical school.

The general requirement is 90 credit of undergrad for US Licensure so you do not need a BS degree technically but Residencies want you to have one, if some one does not have one it should be due to circumstances ie: a 40 year old nurse who has a AA degree and years of practice and has the required 90 credits of undergrad went to the Caribbean to study medicine, ( I met more then a few of over 40 nurses and EMT doing this)in this case Residency programs may understand But to tell a residency program you were just in a rush may not be accepted.

Also the 90 credit rule is due to 6 year medical degrees around the world, these students go to medical school out of Highschool and earn a MD or MBBS. They do not have BS or BA degrees so the rules are for them.

So it would be really difficult to land a Neurology residency without a BS degree? Could I possibly get into ANY residency program at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
So it would be really difficult to land a Neurology residency without a BS degree? Could I possibly get into ANY residency program at all?
Neuro maybe

If you want a chance to hold a license in all 50 states you have to go to the big 4, without a BS degree and MCAT that will not be possible

If you do not take Physics you cannot get a License in some states

there are Min requirements and you are really pushing the envelope here and residency programs may see you as taking a shortcut, some one who is much older is not seen as taking a short cut, there are things that go into getting a match that are unofficial, you have not "Paid your Dues" by trying to bypass a couple years of school.

Older people may be forgiven this transgression since they have paid dues in other ways.

It's hard for me to say if you will have an equal chance as other students?

I'm from the east coast, and I only plan to practice in those states. After residency, I want to practice in my home state, which is Georgia; however, I wouldn't mind eventually doing some locum tenens work in surrounding states, such as Tennessee, the Carolinas, etc.

Do you know what Georgia's (and the other southeastern states') policies are as far as practicing as a physician who has not earned a BS degree (nor taken Physics) is concerned? The states I mentioned are the only ones I will ever want to practice in; I'm definitely a "southeastern" guy.

I'm from the east coast, and I only plan to practice in those states. After residency, I want to practice in my home state, which is Georgia; however, I wouldn't mind eventually doing some locum tenens work in surrounding states, such as Tennessee, the Carolinas, etc.

Do you know what Georgia's (and the other southeastern states') policies are as far as practicing as a physician who has not earned a BS degree (nor taken Physics) is concerned? The states I mentioned are the only ones I will ever want to practice in; I'm definitely a "southeastern" guy.

Ga's Law is really weak, basically (I'm here in Southern Ga near Valdosta doing Clinicals and plan to practice here Rural FP ) its 90 credit hours of undergrad and nothing specific. You have do green book clinicals in the states. These are clinicals where the hospital has a Residency program ( just the cores)

The states you mentioned are not strict except Tennessee, they have new laws about FMG ( this includes Caribbean grads) and have raised the bar for practice, not impossible just harder.

Thanks for your response. I'm from Columbus, and would like to practice here after all is said and done.

So to satisfy GA law, I need to have completed at least 90 hours of college coursework before I can practice as a physician in the state? If so, that kind of throws a wrench into the gears; by May 2008, I will only have completed around 60 credit hours. Hmmm...

Thanks for your response. I'm from Columbus, and would like to practice here after all is said and done.

So to satisfy GA law, I need to have completed at least 90 hours of college coursework before I can practice as a physician in the state? If so, that kind of throws a wrench into the gears; by May 2008, I will only have completed around 60 credit hours. Hmmm...

60 credits is way too little, there a few states who accept that but the schools I know will not not even St. James will accept 60, they would put you in premed.
You do not want that, I'll tell you its pure Heck ( Add the LL's)

SGU is sept and Jan Admission the others are 3 times a year, I would do one more year, 08-09 and join a school in the summer, there is a may class at AUA, its the school I suggest you look into you do not need the MCAT to apply and be accepted, If you went this summer, sept, and spring sessions maybe you could have enough credits then?

Hey,

Thanks for your advice. Actually, if I will have earned roughly 60 credits at the end of the Spring '08 semester, then I shouldn't need more than 2 semesters after that (provided I stick to my usual 15-16 credit hour load), so I could theoretically take a full-load of classes this summer and next fall, and then start med. school the following winter, which would be in January '09. Based on what AUA's calendar on their website states, they do have classes beginning in January -- which is good news for me.

Oh, as an aside -- why would St. James put me in their "pre-med" program when I have completed nearly all of the medical school pre-requisites? Just out of curiosity, what makes it so rough?

Hey,

Thanks for your advice. Actually, if I will have earned roughly 60 credits at the end of the Spring '08 semester, then I shouldn't need more than 2 semesters after that (provided I stick to my usual 15-16 credit hour load), so I could theoretically take a full-load of classes this summer and next fall, and then start med. school the following winter, which would be in January '09. Based on what AUA's calendar on their website states, they do have classes beginning in January -- which is good news for me.

Oh, as an aside -- why would St. James put me in their "pre-med" program when I have completed nearly all of the medical school pre-requisites? Just out of curiosity, what makes it so rough?

I meant with the 60 credits, with 90 they would admit you to the 4 yr MD program.

I'm currently in college and have taken General Biology 1& 2, General Chemistry 1 & 2, and Organic Chemistry 1 & 2, as well as Human Anatomy & Physiology. Recently, I've had the urge to expedite the medical school application/acceptance process, and I have been informed that there are several Caribbean medical schools that will accept students who have not earned bachelor's degrees or taken the MCAT. My GPA is currently 3.65.

My questions are, which Caribbean schools will accept someone lacking the above described application components (MCAT and bachelor's degree), and would any reputable schools accept someone who hasn't taken Physics? Finally, how soon could I start school? Could I possibly get accepted for Winter/Spring 2008 semester (classes initiating in January)?

I want to go into primary care, so the common FMG residency concerns wouldn't be relevant (unless, of course, residency spots for FMGs fade significantly!). I also don't mind spending two years in the Caribbean.

With your GPA you have to be crazy to consider an offshore school, there are numerous difficulties with going offshore for medical school. Finish your degree and keep your GPA up, study for the MCAT, take a prep course if you have to, but realistically avoid going to a foreign school.

With your GPA you have to be crazy to consider an offshore school, there are numerous difficulties with going offshore for medical school. Finish your degree and keep your GPA up, study for the MCAT, take a prep course if you have to, but realistically avoid going to a foreign school.

I just figured, why not do it if I can graduate two years earlier than I normally would and if I want to go into primary care anyways?

I meant with the 60 credits, with 90 they would admit you to the 4 yr MD program.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying -- but what I want to know is, what would I take in their pre-med program if I have already taken most of the pre-med classes? Also, just out of curiosity...how does their program suck so bad?

Yeah, I understand what you're saying -- but what I want to know is, what would I take in their pre-med program if I have already taken most of the pre-med classes? Also, just out of curiosity...how does their program suck so bad?
No it does not suck they want you to be able to get licensed so they make you take physics and Orgo and such. I agree with these things.

Henry H,
I would seriously reconsider taking this shortcut. There is nothing wrong with offshore schools, and there is nothing wrong with taking calculated short cuts, but this is a really bad idea. Seriously, does an extra year or two really make a difference in the long run? Once you're a doctor, you're a doctor for the rest of your life. And with your GPA, you might as well take a shot at your state school which will cost about half as much. Do you really want to be several time zones away from your family?

Finish your BS/BA degree and all prereqs before you apply to any medical school. I also advice you to take your MCATs as your performance on those will give you a better understanding in your strengths and weaknesses; and a preparation on the USMLE.
As what OldPro stated earlier, it is unwise to proceed to medical school without an MCAT score as well as a BS/BA degree. Don't rush. Take your time and finish all the requirements first.

If your GPA is high enough, consider applying to US Allopathic schools as well.

Cheers:thumbup: