Getting into a less competitive field but a good residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PediatricsRocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I get into a good residency in a low-ranked field such as pediatrics with just average grades and no research? I am looking to get into Baylor COM's pediatric residency program.

Members don't see this ad.

Can I get into a good residency in a low-ranked field such as pediatrics with just average grades and no research? I am looking to get into Baylor COM's pediatric residency program.

The top residency programs in any specialty can be just as competitive as Rads or what have you. Believe it or not some of your AOA having 250+ scoring brethren don't just want to do Plastics or Derm, some would also like to do Peds. How competitive any given program is at any given time is not really something you can control so just take care of you and let the rest sort itself out.

Could you direct me to the rankings of fields please?

Perhaps you mean "less competitive" rather than "low-ranked"?

In general, pediatric programs are not too concerned with your preclinical grades and class rank. Research is not all that common among pediatric applicants. The programs in some of the large children's hospitals and some smaller academic programs, are however, moderately to fairly competitive and a greater percentage, but not all applicants will have done some research.

What is most important is how you perform in your clinical years, especially 4th year pedi electives and sub-Is.

Well a doc once told me that pediatrics is the lowest on the medical specialty totem pole, although I don't think there's a specific list of rankings anywhere. What is the typical profile of someone who gets into a competitive pediatric residency? Does anyone know?

i gots your rankings:

2415481402_b7926f4a2b_o.jpg

and yes, each field in this chart is inherently superior to any to its right

What is the typical profile of someone who gets into a competitive pediatric residency?

Apparently better than mine since I only got a fairly non-competitive pediatric residency spot a long time ago. Since then, my career has been nothing short of disastrous. Fortunately, I got this gig as an SDN moderator to improve my lot in life.

Oldbear, so what WAS your pediatrics residency profile like and where'd you go, if you don't mind me asking?

Oldbear, so what WAS your pediatrics residency profile like and where'd you go, if you don't mind me asking?

Believe it or not I have no detailed recollection of my board scores, evaluations, etc. We didn't get a single Step 1, etc score like they do now and Dean's letters weren't structured the same way. I did no research in med school in part because I went to a 3 year med school with no summer breaks. Interviews and letters of rec were relatively more important in residency selection then. I went to a relatively small pediatric program, not in need of being named here.

I was also a relatively unremarkable resident, and even in my small residency program was not selected as a third year chief or as the outstanding resident, etc. None of that really matters much though. I loved neonatology, got great recs from my neonatology mentors and went on to get a fellowship in that area and do academics from there.

What I'm getting at is that ranking of fields putting pediatrics as "low" is not reflective of anything, nor is there a need to worry excessively about getting just the right residency position at just the right program. Do well clinically, get good letters and you'll get a residency in pediatrics that will train you well.

i gots your rankings:

2415481402_b7926f4a2b_o.jpg

and yes, each field in this chart is inherently superior to any to its right

Although IM has a higher average board score than peds, I believe peds is actually slightly more competitive due to fewer spots.

Board scores aren't everything.

I haven't started medical school yet so this may be a stupid question but I was looking at the rankings chart and it has neurology and Internal medicine as separate specialties. Isn't neurology a sub-specialty of Internal medicine or am I wrong?

I haven't started medical school yet so this may be a stupid question but I was looking at the rankings chart and it has neurology and Internal medicine as separate specialties. Isn't neurology a sub-specialty of Internal medicine or am I wrong?

they are separate

Ok, so this begs my noobish question, what is going to make me the better doctor? Like, is a more competitive residency withing a certain field going to make me a superior saving machine?

Apparently better than mine since I only got a fairly non-competitive pediatric residency spot a long time ago. Since then, my career has been nothing short of disastrous. Fortunately, I got this gig as an SDN moderator to improve my lot in life.
:laugh:

OBP, don't feel so bad. I know all pediatricians are poor as well, but someday you might make enough to feed your family!!!

Ok, so this begs my noobish question, what is going to make me the better doctor? Like, is a more competitive residency withing a certain field going to make me a superior saving machine?

Some of the most competitive specialties tend to have one or two of the following factors:
1) Sex/badass appeal (think neurosurgery)
2) Lifestyle (radiology, dermatology)
3) Good pay (neurosurgery, rads, derm, cardiology)

transitional year is superior to ophtho? that's news to me

The only specialties after transitional year are:
optho
anesthesia
derm
rad-onc
radiology

Therefore, the average board scores of people going into these specialties (and doing a transitional year vs a prelim) is slightly higher than those doing optho.