Getting into cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisasimpson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a PGY2 and have jsut started research in cardiology, wont prollybe published for another year. How much reaserch is generally needed before applying? What other degree in addition to the medical degree might help me with my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a PGY2 and have jsut started research in cardiology, wont prollybe published for another year. How much reaserch is generally needed before applying? What other degree in addition to the medical degree might help me with my application?
thr
How much is needed ? more is better anybody can tell you that ... how many exactly .. give me a number ...well lets assume we aren't MD/PhD .. I will hesitatingly say 3 is my magic number..
more important is the category so original experimental work vs review article, case report , poster..etc
what was your role in this research ? were you the first author ? where was it published ?
is it even cardiology or something else general ?

if you have some research but you haven't published you can talk about especially if it was structured , mentored and at reasonably reputed lab I think you are fine and in better shape than if you went empty handed.
look at the fellows at each of the institutions you thinking about applying too .. I looked at website of a top tier fellowship program the other day and most of the fellows hover around the three. well some have up to 20!
ok the idea is fellowship programs look into other things than the mere number of publications.

other degrees that might help ..MPH comes to mind instantly of course good old PhD, some people get creative as I saw some one with master of clinical research ..to what extent that helps ? I don't know

Having LOR's from full professor, dept. chair or cardiology program director(s) would be as much or more helpful than having publications, though having publications does not hurt.