getting into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATslim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey whatsup everybody, im currently a new member here at SDN, and i wanted to know if everyone else feels the same as i do as far as being pre-dental :scared: , with the constant repetition of asking yourself if your grades are good enough. my question is, what is sufficient for applying?

Members don't see this ad.

DATslim said:
hey whatsup everybody, im currently a new member here at SDN, and i wanted to know if everyone else feels the same as i do as far as being pre-dental :scared: , with the constant repetition of asking yourself if your grades are good enough. my question is, what is sufficient for applying?

you have a lot of reading to do. but...if i had to put it in a nutshell for you i'd say 3.2+ and 18-19+ on the DAT's is quite safe..but by no means a guarantee. Some people get in with 2.9's but they either have really high DAT's or exceptional experience/extra curriculars.

pbure said:
you have a lot of reading to do. but...if i had to put it in a nutshell for you i'd say 3.2+ and 18-19+ on the DAT's is quite safe..but by no means a guarantee. Some people get in with 2.9's but they either have really high DAT's or exceptional experience/extra curriculars.

Love the new avatar, pbure! Oh, and I pretty much agree with what pbure stated as far as what is 'needed' to get into dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I go to a Canadian school (UBC), and my school give out our grade in % with letter grade. What would 3.2 translate to? B-? B+? Thanks :D

Smooth Operater said:
Hey guys, I go to a Canadian school (UBC), and my school give out our grade in % with letter grade. What would 3.2 translate to? B-? B+? Thanks :D

Probably a B (not a + but higher than a - )

Sprgrover said:
Probably a B (not a + but higher than a - )

I think that was a typo, i think u mean higher than a B- NOT an A-

What Sprgrover meant was 3.2 gets you to around a 'B', which is between B+ (3.4) and B- (3.0).

The Musketeer said:
What Sprgrover meant was 3.2 gets you to around a 'B', which is between B+ (3.4) and B- (3.0).

since when B- a 3.0. B- is 2.7 and B is 3.0.

fouyboy said:
I think that was a typo, i think u mean higher than a B- NOT an A-

The 'a' is an article (i.e. "the") and not a letter grade. Sorry, I guess I should have placed a "b" before the "+" and "-" for clarification. :D

i don't think a 3.2 is "quite safe". of course people get in with this and lower, but to be "safe" i think you'd want no lower than ~3.4. just my experience/opinion.

I agree with you Biogirl. I think a 3.2 is safe for BU or NYU.

3.2 and 20 would get you into a bunch of schools....just look at the acceptances on this board.