Getting into DO school in the 70's.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Footpain

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How competitive was it to get in to DO school during the late seventies? Just curious. Thanks.

See in the 70's there was no MCAT or GRADES... it only mattered how well you could dance the hustle... Ahh a simpler life.

But really, there have been threads discussing this topic, use the handy search function. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard there was age discrimination back then, so med schools rarely accepted any non-trad applicants..

Edit: Sorry, my response above was regarding medical schools in general (MD & DO, mostly MD, I suppose).

Last edited:
I've heard about intense marriage discrimination. When my dad was applying to med schools, he told me they threw out your app if you were married, regardless of anything else. Schools wanted your complete and total dedication to medicine and medicine only for those years.

But yeah, he tells me it was a lot simpler, and the process was less variable. You basically knew if you got in somewhere before applying, if your stats were up to par. Now there is just more variability.

I started DO school in 1983. Several in my class were married with kids (I had 2, ages 18 months and 5 yrs). One student was in her early 50's...one of our best students, and she is still practicing. The average age of our freshmen class was 27. We had 5 nurses, a PT, and the class behind us had a chiropractor (as well as a Harvard grad). We had one student who had been an alternate for the Olympic gymnastics team. Seems like they went for diversity, and a wealth of real-world experiences prior to med school. (TCOM)