Getting into Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triplerox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergrad with a degree in biology. My GPA isn't that great (3.1) and I don't have any significant exposure to psychology that is worth mentioning. My interest in psychology has always been something that I don't express too often. It wasn't until recently when I thought truly about my interest that I notice I've always been fond of the way human thinks. To read a little more about it, I picked up the book Understanding Human Nature by Alfred Alder. Long story short, this book fascinated me. It confirmed many thoughts that I developed myself throughout my life from my experience. My other hobbies include stock investment as well as poker. Both of which psychological factors played a large part of.

I'm probably more into clinical work and I was never really a fan of research. As far as what kind of clinical work I'm into I guess I would need some volunteer experience first before being able to tell. However, before that I would have to figure out if with my current stats I would even have a chance of getting into a good masters program. In fact, I'm not even quite sure where I should begin which is why I hope some kind souls in here can give me a helping hand. I only took one psychology class during my undergraduate years. I have no sources for LOR's and no experience with volunteering. Basically I'm about as worst as it can get when it comes to applying for psychology grad school

Members don't see this ad.

You're almost definitely going to need some upper-division courses in psychology and statistics..

I'm probably more into clinical work and I was never really a fan of research.

Then I would not suggest pursuing a doctorate....

I think it would be wise for you to consider 1) why you want to obtain a doctorate in psychology, and 2) what your long-term professional and personal career goals are. No one needs to tell you that graduate school is an experience which requires a lot of dedication and time.

I think it is possible for you to gain entry into a graduate program in psychology. At this point, your best shot is for a Master’s. However, if you would like to get a PhD or PsyD, you will probably have to take upper-level psychology courses in order to raise your GPA and increase your competition with other students. Again, I think the most important issue for you to contemplate would be what you would like to do in the future.