getting into med school!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothfairy21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys...
I just came to USA. i have done dentistry in India. My real passion is going to med school and being an MD. I was looking into ways of going about it .... i do not want to go through 3 years of premed .. so wanted to know i my dental degree is considered equivalent .... what extra credits do i need???? ... any input would would be helpful from you guys ... thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys...
I just came to USA. i have done dentistry in India. My real passion is going to med school and being an MD. I was looking into ways of going about it .... i do not want to go through 3 years of premed .. so wanted to know i my dental degree is considered equivalent .... what extra credits do i need???? ... any input would would be helpful from you guys ... thank you all
I would start here: https://www.aamc.org/students/considering/gettingin/

Not gonna happen without the 90 units of premed and all the extra stuff involved. Also, they will wonder why you want to abandon dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys...

I think some of your credits from your dentistry degree are transferable. However, you will still need to do a post-bacc program here in the US before you apply to medical schools to fulfill that 90 hrs requirement.

3 issues:

1. Citizenship. If you don't have a green card or US citizenship, that's a big problem. US med schools rarely take foreign nationals (other than Canadians) and those tend to be extraordinary stories. Without permanent US residency, you can't get US federal loans, so you have to find about $200,000 to cover the bill on your own (IF you can get in).

2. US coursework. You have to at least take the US med school prereqs in the US. That's a bit more than one fulltime year, assuming you already have sufficient math & English coursework.

3. TOEFL & foreign transcript evaluation. If you don't have the equivalent of a US bachelors degree (dental school is likely insufficient), that's a problem.

After/during the above, you have to do what all the US kids have to do: volunteer or work in a US clinical setting (such as a hospital), get letters of recommendation from faculty (foreign may not be accepted), take the MCAT, apply using AMCAS, AACOMAS and/or TMDSAS.

After that, if you get in, med school is 4 years followed by 3+ years of residency before you can practice.

Search for posts by ScottishChap for more details.

Best of luck to you.

university of buffalo interview
Views: 3,126
Posted By toothfairy21
i made too!!!!

i made too!!!!

Something smells a little fishy????
Did you not get into dental school at the University of Buffalo? Did you drop out?

university of buffalo interview
Views: 3,126
Posted By toothfairy21
i made too!!!!

i made too!!!!

Something smells a little fishy????
Did you not get into dental school at the University of Buffalo? Did you drop out?

It seems like he probably dropped out because that post was made back in 2010. ;)