getting into pharmacy school from same undergrad school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlatjdals

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have a better chance of getting into pharm school if you went to the same college for undergrad?for instance, if i go to vcu and do well in undergrad studies, do i have a higher chance of getting into their pharmacy program? or does the place of undergrad not matter? I know it wouldn't raise my chances significantly, but would it help a little? Like wouldn't your rec letters be stronger bc the undergrad professors might know the pharm ppl?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on the school. For me, I just went to orientation at KU (Univ of KS) and the dean of Pharm told us that there is a substantial advantage if you were a KU student.

I think it really depends on the school. For me, I just went to orientation at KU (Univ of KS) and the dean of Pharm told us that there is a substantial advantage if you were a KU student.

Interesting... KU deans like to tell students at other schools in Kansas that it doesn't matter whether or not you did your pre-pharmacy coursework at KU. In person, they have explained the large percentage of KU students in their entering classes by citing how the bulk of their applicant pool comes from KU.

It definitely depends on the school. As for which schools happen to prefer their own undergrads, I don't know. It seems like that will just require a little research and asking around about particular programs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting... KU deans like to tell students at other schools in Kansas that it doesn't matter whether or not you did your pre-pharmacy coursework at KU. In person, they have explained the large percentage of KU students in their entering classes by citing how the bulk of their applicant pool comes from KU.

It definitely depends on the school. I know there are some schools that practically require that you complete pre-pharmacy coursework at their undergraduate college. For example UNC Chapel Hill. I was looking at applying there but quickly realized there was no hope since they state it right on their website. As for those schools that just happen to prefer their own undergrads, I don't know. It seems like that will just require a little research and asking around about particular programs.

It definitely depends on the school. I know there are some schools that practically require that you complete pre-pharmacy coursework at their undergraduate college. For example UNC Chapel Hill. I was looking at applying there but quickly realized there was no hope since they state it right on their website. As for those schools that just happen to prefer their own undergrads, I don't know. It seems like that will just require a little research and asking around about particular programs.

There have been people who got into UNC from other universities.

I think so, if you take matters into your own hands at least. Going to the same college for undergrad as the pharmacy school you want to apply to gives you a lot of opportunities other kids don't have. You can volunteer at APhA events and meet other students and professors. Here at least, if you are involved with the pre-pharm society, you'll meet the director of admissions and even the dean a couple times. When I talked to our associate dean one day she actually set me up to shadow a nuclear pharmacist for a day.

I did my undergrad at VCU and applied twice to the pharmacy school and didn't get as much as an interview. I even worked at the inpatient pharmacy at MCV for 5 years and had a one-on-one meeting with the dean set up by the pharmacy director. In my experience, if you want to get into the pharmacy school, do not go to VCU. Try either UVA or Va Tech if you want them to take you seriously.

This isn't to say that VCU is a bad school, because it's not, I just think they are biased against it. I found it strange that the other schools I applied to I got interviews but never to VCU. It worked out in the end though, I much prefer Tennessee's program -- 2.5 years of class and 1.5 years of rotations.

I found it strange that the other schools I applied to I got interviews but never to VCU. It worked out in the end though, I much prefer Tennessee's program -- 2.5 years of class and 1.5 years of rotations.

I was accepted at UNC but haven't even heard from Campbell, Wingate or Auburn besides the "we received your application" emails back in September. Come to think of it, I didn't even get one of those from Auburn. Weird.