getting into pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetGal4nj

cutie pie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guesss she's confused? Hey, are you confused or lost?:)

... is the coolest, most exciting thing that I've ever done... and that's saying A LOT, becasue I've done more cool and exiciting things than you could ever imagine imagine!

... is the coolest, most exciting thing that I've ever done... and that's saying A LOT, becasue I've done more cool and exiciting things than you could ever imagine imagine!

I don't get it, posting in this thread is the coolest thing you've ever done ???:)

I don't get it, posting in this thread is the coolest thing you've ever done ???:)
I'm guessing he's completing the title of the thread, ie. getting into pharmacy school is the coolest thing he has ever done.

Since the original poster apparently didn't have a focused question, here goes:

Unfortunately, my brother was just turned down from the one and only pharmD program he applied to. (Why he only applied to one school is a long story.) What factors do the schools take into account in either accepting or denying students? Everyone we'd spoken to previously, including someone who used to work in the particular program's admissions office, said he seemed like a shoe-in (PCAT: 97th percentile, 3.5 gpa in biological sciences (BS), works as a pharmacy tech, super essays...). For anyone who has been accepted, what were your numbers, or what do you think made you stand out? (My bro is going to apply again for next fall.)

Since the original poster apparently didn't have a focused question, here goes:

Unfortunately, my brother was just turned down from the one and only pharmD program he applied to. (Why he only applied to one school is a long story.) What factors do the schools take into account in either accepting or denying students? Everyone we'd spoken to previously, including someone who used to work in the particular program's admissions office, said he seemed like a shoe-in (PCAT: 97th percentile, 3.5 gpa in biological sciences (BS), works as a pharmacy tech, super essays...). For anyone who has been accepted, what were your numbers, or what do you think made you stand out? (My bro is going to apply again for next fall.)
You asked for numbers, so here are mine...
GPA: 4.0
Degrees in Biology and Accounting
PCAT: 98
No pharm experience whatsoever.
What I think made me stand out: My interview. At one of the schools I interviewed at, one of my interviewers mentioned that they were "impressed" by me.
Your brother seems good on paper. He probably bombed his interview, since that is the one factor not accounted for. He should ask the school why he was rejected, and work on whatever the school tells him. And it goes without saying that he should apply to more than one school next time.

He actually never even got an interview (not in person nor on the phone).

He got a wait-list letter in about March and a denial letter just today (June 9). No other letters, no calls.

Last edited:
With his stats, I could only assume that he screwed up his PS, and other parts of his supplimental application, since he didn't get a interview.

There is no such thing as super essays, or guaranteed admissions. He just needs to apply to more than one school this time around, and have a pharmacy student critique his essay.

Other than that, medicalcpa says, have him call the school.

He got a wait-list letter in about March and a denial letter just today (June 9). No other letters, no calls.
Wow! It just blows my mind everytime I hear stories like this. I mean, I sit here and think how did this person NOT get accepted. I had good numbers, but nothing outstanding and no experience whatsoever, BUT I did have strong LORs, PS, pharmacology research and I think I nailed my interview. I guess the moral of the story is numbers don't mean everything...there's never a "shoe-in" for anything apparantly. Personality means a lot.

I like your enthusiasm!!

Which school was this?