getting into pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orius0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
im currently studying in 3rd year and planning to go into pharmacy.. But sometimes i think that pharmacy is just too hard and hard to get in and so i should think of a new path or something? I have worked at a pharmacy store for few hours and its not bad..any one has similar feeling or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

As a current pharmacy student who is loving her experience at the University of Buffalo, I strongly encourage you to give pharmacy school a chance. While the curriculum is difficult at times, it is worth the hard work if you're really passionate about helping patients. As far as admissions, GPA is weighted heavily, but many schools also emphasize the interview, letter of recommendation, and pharmacy experience. It sounds like you have experience and enjoy working in a pharmacy, so as long as your grades are decent and you show that you are passionate you should definitely stand a good chance at getting accepted. Here is the breakdown for typical students accepted entering the pharmacy class at the University of Buffalo:

Profile of Incoming Students, Fall 2010
Interviewed: 250
Accepted: 125
Middle 50th Percentile Science & Math GPA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math): 3.4 – 3.7*
Middle 50th Percentile of Sum PCAT Percentile Score (excluding composite): 355 – 409* (they add up the percentile ranks for each section)

-Michelle
UB PharmD Candidate 2013

As a current pharmacy student who is loving her experience at the University of Buffalo, I strongly encourage you to give pharmacy school a chance. While the curriculum is difficult at times, it is worth the hard work if you're really passionate about helping patients. As far as admissions, GPA is weighted heavily, but many schools also emphasize the interview, letter of recommendation, and pharmacy experience. It sounds like you have experience and enjoy working in a pharmacy, so as long as your grades are decent and you show that you are passionate you should definitely stand a good chance at getting accepted. Here is the breakdown for typical students accepted entering the pharmacy class at the University of Buffalo:

Profile of Incoming Students, Fall 2010
Interviewed: 250
Accepted: 125
Middle 50th Percentile Science & Math GPA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math): 3.4 – 3.7*
Middle 50th Percentile of Sum PCAT Percentile Score (excluding composite): 355 – 409* (they add up the percentile ranks for each section)

-Michelle
UB PharmD Candidate 2013

lol, I have a feeling you'll fit right in with the rest of the approval-seeking pharmacy students.