Getting into PharmD

Started by toledokid
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

toledokid

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've recently decided that I want to pursue a career in the health field, at first I had my mind set on Nursing and possibly pursuing further education from that, i.e. NP.

However, I have always and will always be fascinated with the drug aspect of health care, so I've decided maybe I should look into PharmD.

What I'm curious to know is, in what way would be the best to go about pursuing a career in PharmD? I'm currently going to a 2 year college to get some general college credits taken out, and I was planning on transferring into a Bachelors program at a medical college, are there any better options?

Would (trying) to go from RN to PharmD be a wise decision, or would it be time consuming and unnecessary?

I haven't had any luck finding out this myself. 🙁

edit: I'd also like to add I'm currently taking a semester at a Community College, is there a chance these credits won't even be accepted if I look into Pharm.D schools?
 
Last edited:
I think as long as your community college is accredited you shouldn't have problems with using the credit for pharmacy. I'm sure others will have more to say about this.

I don't think RN to PharmD would be a terrible decision but you're going to need to be prepared to explain why you're not sticking with nursing in your personal statement/interview. Also, it may be time consuming and costly because pharmacy is about a year to 2 years of prerequisites depending on how large of a credit load you can handle at once and what you've already taken. Adding that to nursing school wouldn't be easy and would probably take a while.

If I were in your situation, assuming you really want to go for pharmacy, I would transfer to a university and just focus on the pharmacy prerequisites while taking a useful/interesting major as a backup plan. It seems like pharmacy and nursing have a lot of the same early prerequisites so you could always fall back on nursing if you wanted to.
 
I think as long as your community college is accredited you shouldn't have problems with using the credit for pharmacy. I'm sure others will have more to say about this.
I hope so.

I don't think RN to PharmD would be a terrible decision but you're going to need to be prepared to explain why you're not sticking with nursing in your personal statement/interview. Also, it may be time consuming and costly because pharmacy is about a year to 2 years of prerequisites depending on how large of a credit load you can handle at once and what you've already taken. Adding that to nursing school wouldn't be easy and would probably take a while.
I'm assuming the statement is when I apply for Pharm School?

If I were in your situation, assuming you really want to go for pharmacy, I would transfer to a university and just focus on the pharmacy prerequisites while taking a useful/interesting major as a backup plan. It seems like pharmacy and nursing have a lot of the same early prerequisites so you could always fall back on nursing if you wanted to.
Yeah, I didn't think about it as a fall back, because from what I see here PharmD. is a hard career to get into, but I feel pretty strongly about it, I've always had a respect and have always wanted to know as much as possible about the chemistry behind medication, and so on.

I also, feel I should point out I am not one of those guys who are only interested in PharmD for money, I legitimately feel as if it might be one of the better choices to fit me, in the medical field. I'm also a little worried about the oversaturation of the Pharmacy field in general.

One last question I have is, where do most PharmD students end up working? Is it pretty much only to retail?