Getting Involved in Research for the Sake of Trying it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nawrp11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm an older student with a Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology, who decided not to go down the Masters/PhD route while completing my degree and a little bit after as well. However, it's been a few years at this point and I've found myself dissatisfied with writing off research without actually having tried it myself.

My question is: would it be ok if I approached a PI and saying that I'm very interested in their research/can I volunteer BUT I want to get involved to see if this path is right for me, and if there's some option for me to contribute to the lab without long-term commitment? I'm eager to get experience through volunteering or other opportunities in a lab, but I'm not comfortable with committing several months/years to doing it in the event where I see that it isn't for me.

Anyone else began involvement in a lab with a conversation like this with their PI?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm an older student with a Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology, who decided not to go down the Masters/PhD route while completing my degree and a little bit after as well. However, it's been a few years at this point and I've found myself dissatisfied with writing off research without actually having tried it myself.

My question is: would it be ok if I approached a PI and saying that I'm very interested in their research/can I volunteer BUT I want to get involved to see if this path is right for me, and if there's some option for me to contribute to the lab without long-term commitment? I'm eager to get experience through volunteering or other opportunities in a lab, but I'm not comfortable with committing several months/years to doing it in the event where I see that it isn't for me.

Anyone else began involvement in a lab with a conversation like this with their PI?
Since it's volunteer, I would say they would be fine with it. But some PI's don't like that. They don't want to waste their time on a student who is going to come in for 3-4 months to run some PCR and cell culture and then dip when the realize it's not what they want. Its a loss of time and investment and you want researchers who are going be productive that is, get some data that can be utilized in some way shape or form for their upcoming grant proposals.

I would say to tell the PI that you have a 6 month availability. Do NOT say a year if you cannot commit to it. It can really black ball you if you do that (no letters of rec to other PI's). Be honest about the commitment and grind through that time. If you cannot commit to a proposed time I would not pursue it.

I'm eager to get experience through volunteering or other opportunities in a lab, but I'm not comfortable with committing several months/years to doing it in the event where I see that it isn't for me.

There's a big difference between several months and several years. In university settings it's common for PIs to want a 2-semester commitment. You can ask for something shorter, though. Worst case scenario is they'll say no. But beyond whether it's possible, I don't think a few months is enough time to really get a feel for what it's like to do research. Typically, RAs who stick around longer are exposed to increasing degrees of responsibility and more opportunities for authorship.

If FOMO is your only motivating factor, it's probably not worth your time.