Getting licenced with a checkered past..??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have tried searching everywhere to get an answer to this question with no luck....

I am working on my BS in public health. I am doing realy well and I want to find a DPH program to get into. But befor I do that I want to make sure I will be able to get a license with my checkered past.

I am 23 now and when I was a juvenile I was a bit of a trouble maker. I have three misdemeanors, they are for things like underage drinking and trespassing. No felonies or crimes involving vulnerable people. I also battled substance abuse and am a recovering addict.

With that said, I am a different person now. I work hard, get good grades, and all that good stuff. But I am conserned that I will not be able to get my license because of my youthful indescresions. Any advise would be great.:cool:

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations on turning things around.

i would advise you to check with the licensing authority in the state that you are planning to practice in. each state has specific requirements for licensing. often times it is online, and it should be pretty easy to find. if not, consider giving someone a call.

good luck.

Yea, I acualy tried doing that. The website was not functioning properly, and I sent an e-mail with no reply. I guess your right I should probably give them a call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I have tried searching everywhere to get an answer to this question with no luck....

I am working on my BS in public health. I am doing realy well and I want to find a DPH program to get into. But befor I do that I want to make sure I will be able to get a license with my checkered past.

I am 23 now and when I was a juvenile I was a bit of a trouble maker. I have three misdemeanors, they are for things like underage drinking and trespassing. No felonies or crimes involving vulnerable people. I also battled substance abuse and am a recovering addict.

With that said, I am a different person now. I work hard, get good grades, and all that good stuff. But I am conserned that I will not be able to get my license because of my youthful indescresions. Any advise would be great.:cool:

Thanks

I think you will be fine. As long as this kind of stuff happened before you embarked on your education/career. I wouldn't worry about this too much. There are very few people in this world who have absolutely nothing in their past.

I e-mailed the department of health and they got back to me today. They said that while there are no promises that I will get licensed, they have never seen anyone get turned down for a misdemeanor as long as it has been at least seven years since. So it looks like I am in good shape.:)

If your previous record happened when you were a minor I don't think it will be a problem. There is a Public Health sub-forum on here, so you might want to post a thread there. I am finishing my MPH before I start PT school and for the certification test I don't think it will be a problem.

Here is the link to the sub-forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=94 It is three forums down.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!

I too have a checkered past, and am also working on my applications to a DPT program. I called the Department of Education, who basically is the licensing board( in my State) and they had me speak someone who investigates licensing issues. He told me that there are mitigating circumstances and they "look at each matter on an individual case by case basis". That said, he also mentioned letters of character and recommendations by people other than your relatives. ie community board leader, religious leader etc. He said they will also look at what you have done since said past history to turn turn your self around. ( on a side note, certain states have laws that may or may not bar you from certain licenses, i suggest looking that up too)

I am currently involved in a Pilot program that helps to peer mentor people who are formerly incarcerated to stay in school. I also have volunteered at my church, at various charity events and a recent children's sport expo. I am still looking to do more.

So far its been a blessing! keep your head up and eyes on prize!

Last edited:
Your best bet is to call the state board for the answer. I had some youthful indescretion as well and they said it wasn't any problem as long as I provided paperwork and kept my nose clean.

So, I have done a lot of research on this issue. I should have checked the old posts before I did this, but whatever. The conclusions that I have come up with from schools and the health department are the following.

1. Each case is considered on a case by case bases.

2. Crimes that involve violence, arson, sexual anything, fraud, forgery, and against disabled people are what they are concerned about. Most states have a list of crimes that are automatic dismissal.

3. The best thing anyone can do is be honest, no matter what, lying is often more serious than a crime from ten years ago.

4. Time matters. In my case, the most recent offense was over eight years ago, generally they will consider crimes (not listed above), to be in the past after seven to ten years.

5. Every once in a while if you know you are going to a school you may be able to get the health department to review your case before hand and get a written letter that says if you remain on the right track you will be able to obtain a license.

I am working on that, I sent a copy of my background report to the Health Department of my state, and they said I would be fine. So, sorry for posting a topic that has been on here many times.

P.S Just to cover my you know what: I am not a lawyer and the above advice is not legal advice. It is strictly a hypothesis from the research I have done on the internet and on the phone. Each state has their own rules. Good Luck, and thanks for the replies.