Getting Married

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robnon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be starting med school in the fall and I have filled out my FA information and I am just waiting on the award letter. However I am getting married in June. Am I obligated to change that on FAFSA or do they just go off your information from 2008 since that is where they pull tax information from. The COA is around $20,000 at my school. Do you think that will be reduced if my status is changed to married? My future wife makes an average salary, however we live in an expensive area and will have a lot of bills.

I am just worried about it, so any advice would be helpful. I would be ok with it reduced from $20,000 but not to something like $6000. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your cost of attendance wouldn't go down. It would go up if you have more costs. We can't give you the exact answer. Talk over your budget with your FA office and they will let you take out more money. What school are you going to where the whole cost of attendance is 20k? That would mean your tuition is far below 20k. You in Texas?

You can't change your marital status after you already file your FAFSA. I recommend you just talk it over with your FA Office.

Your cost of attendance wouldn't go down. It would go up if you have more costs. We can't give you the exact answer. Talk over your budget with your FA office and they will let you take out more money. What school are you going to where the whole cost of attendance is 20k? That would mean your tuition is far below 20k. You in Texas?

You can't change your marital status after you already file your FAFSA. I recommend you just talk it over with your FA Office.

Thanks for the information. Sorry I meant the cost of attendance outside of tuition costs is around $20,000.