Getting mixed answers...Orgo 2 help.

Started by kalle001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kalle001

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I keep finding different answers for this question.. So I want to ask all of you. I'm so sorry if this has been asked a million times..I just can't find a direct answer when I google it.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1439314522.870274.jpg


Here is the chemistry requirements for my biology major at my school. I have found on most medical school websites that you need 8 credits of organic chemistry and lab.

Well here's where I can't find straight forward answers. At some universities the Organic 1 lab is worth 1 credit and some have it worth 2. My particular school has it worth two.

So because of this I do NOT need to take organic 2 lab correct?

I would take:
Organic 1 lecture(3)
Organic 1 Lab(2)
Organic 2 lecture(3)

This would meet both my degree requirements and medical school prereq correct?

I would also like some opinions on taking organic 1/lab by itself in the summer.( My school has the summer divided into two btw). I know this has also been asked, but I couldn't find a direct answer either.

Thank you in advance for the answers!
 
I wanna say most schools require 8 credits of orgo with lab...meaning both semesters of orgo must have a lab; not just 8 total credits.
I suggest maybe trying to take it over the summer (which will be incredibly difficult btw); just so you aren't bogged down with other classes.
 
Usually schools will require one year of orgo WITH lab. However, maybe some schools go strictly by credit numbers. I would personally just take the lab, do you really want an easy lab class to be a potential limiting factor in your application?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usually schools will require one year of orgo WITH lab. However, maybe some schools go strictly by credit numbers. I would personally just take the lab, do you really want an easy lab class to be a potential limiting factor in your application?


Normally I wouldn't worry about it and just take it, but these two summer classes will be coming directly out of my pocket. So it saves me almost 900 dollars if I don't have to take it.
 
Last edited:
Almost every school I am interested in requires Organic with lab. Meaning a lecture (usually three credits) and a lab (1-2 credits). If you have some programs in mind I would suggest eMailing them and asking. Any answer provided on SDN might not fit the specific programs you're interested in.
 
Normally I wouldn't worry about it and just take it, but these two summer classes will be coming directly out of my pocket. So it saves me almost 900 dollars if I don't have to take it.

In that case, all I can say is that I hope you weren't planning on applying broadly. Schools that don't require a year of lab in conjunction with the lecture are rare.
 
In that case, all I can say is that I hope you weren't planning on applying broadly. Schools that don't require a year of lab in conjunction with the lecture are rare.


Lol, I'm gonna take the lab. I was just saying that's why I was originally going to not take it. Thank you for the answers though! Much appreciated!