Getting mixed answers...Orgo 2 help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalle001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep finding different answers for this question.. So I want to ask all of you. I'm so sorry if this has been asked a million times..I just can't find a direct answer when I google it.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1439314522.870274.jpg

Here is the chemistry requirements for my biology major at my school. I have found on most medical school websites that you need 8 credits of organic chemistry and lab.

Well here's where I can't find straight forward answers. At some universities the Organic 1 lab is worth 1 credit and some have it worth 2. My particular school has it worth two.

So because of this I do NOT need to take organic 2 lab correct?

I would take:
Organic 1 lecture(3)
Organic 1 Lab(2)
Organic 2 lecture(3)

This would meet both my degree requirements and medical school prereq correct?

I would also like some opinions on taking organic 1/lab by itself in the summer.( My school has the summer divided into two btw). I know this has also been asked, but I couldn't find a direct answer either.

Thank you in advance for the answers!

Members don't see this ad.

I wanna say most schools require 8 credits of orgo with lab...meaning both semesters of orgo must have a lab; not just 8 total credits.
I suggest maybe trying to take it over the summer (which will be incredibly difficult btw); just so you aren't bogged down with other classes.

Usually schools will require one year of orgo WITH lab. However, maybe some schools go strictly by credit numbers. I would personally just take the lab, do you really want an easy lab class to be a potential limiting factor in your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually schools will require one year of orgo WITH lab. However, maybe some schools go strictly by credit numbers. I would personally just take the lab, do you really want an easy lab class to be a potential limiting factor in your application?

Normally I wouldn't worry about it and just take it, but these two summer classes will be coming directly out of my pocket. So it saves me almost 900 dollars if I don't have to take it.

Last edited:
Almost every school I am interested in requires Organic with lab. Meaning a lecture (usually three credits) and a lab (1-2 credits). If you have some programs in mind I would suggest eMailing them and asking. Any answer provided on SDN might not fit the specific programs you're interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Normally I wouldn't worry about it and just take it, but these two summer classes will be coming directly out of my pocket. So it saves me almost 900 dollars if I don't have to take it.

In that case, all I can say is that I hope you weren't planning on applying broadly. Schools that don't require a year of lab in conjunction with the lecture are rare.

Reactions: 1 user
In that case, all I can say is that I hope you weren't planning on applying broadly. Schools that don't require a year of lab in conjunction with the lecture are rare.

Lol, I'm gonna take the lab. I was just saying that's why I was originally going to not take it. Thank you for the answers though! Much appreciated!