Getting over senioritis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right C/O 2011, how many of you are in serious senioritis right now?

My GPA is set to drop a tenth of a point from when I applied. I don't know if this is significant or not lol, but thats not the point.

The point is, I am seriously slacking off, to the point where I am afraid I won't be able to pick it back up.

Who's with me?

Any medical students want to chime in? Please tell me you guys felt the same way and were able to pick it all up just fine :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA is set to drop a tenth of a point from when I applied. I don't know if this is significant or not lol, but thats not the point.

You're not the only one. Unfortunately, I graduate ridiculously late, on May 29th. I still have a few weeks to go. :(

i have 3 exams left! currently studying for one of them now, prompting me to make this topic haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm writing an English thesis about post-Darwinian humanism right now and I'm just so tired of it - especially knowing that it's not something that I'll ever use as a writing sample or even use the skills in grad school or something.

The problem is that if I make a B+ or higher I graduate magna, but all I have to do to graduate cum laude is make a C-. Honestly, if they told me they'd give me a C- right now and I wouldn't have to do anything for the rest of the semester I'd gladly take it :laugh:.

I'm glad my school doesn't do honors, so my gpa doesn't matter anymore, so senioritis all the way!

The point is, I am seriously slacking off, to the point where I am afraid I won't be able to pick it back up.

Who's with me?

Any medical students want to chime in? Please tell me you guys felt the same way and were able to pick it all up just fine :xf:

4th year med student. My gpa was 3.795 at the end of my first semester of my senior year. I wanted to graduate Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa which required 3.8 or above. I busted my butt and graduated Magna Cum Laude and PBK with a gpa above 3.8. Glad I did. Did not want to slack. And I didn't. My diploma and my PBK certificate reflect that. Not making any judgments on slackers, and not trying to annoy those of you who are cruising in your senior year, but that was not my style. I felt the same way when I ran the 2 mile in under 11 minutes. I always thought it was funny when my soccer teammates were happy with running one mile in under 6 minutes. I just laughed and ran two miles in under 11 minutes. Meeting a personal goal. Feels good to set goals and accomplish them.

4th year med student. My gpa was 3.795 at the end of my first semester of my senior year. I wanted to graduate Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa which required 3.8 or above. I busted my butt and graduated Magna Cum Laude and PBK with a gpa above 3.8. Glad I did. Did not want to slack. And I didn't. My diploma and my PBK certificate reflect that. Not making any judgments on slackers, and not trying to annoy those of you who are cruising in your senior year, but that was not my style. I felt the same way when I ran the 2 mile in under 11 minutes. I always thought it was funny when my soccer teammates were happy with running one mile in under 6 minutes. I just laughed and ran two miles in under 11 minutes. Meeting a personal goal. Feels good to set goals and accomplish them.

i definitely understand. but my gpa was a 4.0 before senior year. lost it. i need a 3.9 for summa and completely slacking off this year, skipping all class except for exams, getting old study guides from friends is what is resulting.

i was so close to phi beta kappa. thought we only needed a year of another language. but we needed a year of intermediate level :(

oh well.

still, im definitely in the same boat as the OP. please some med student besides searun tell me i will be able to get my study habits back in shape!!!

i guess i just feel the way i do because i already accomplished my goals. now i am goal free until medical school, with a whole new set!

btw searun you sound like you are a hard worker and it payed off. what specialty are you looking at, if you don't mind me asking

PBK was one of my goals, so I'm glad it was already decided as of last semester, but I don't really care about cum laude vs. magna cum laude. I know I'll graduate with at least cum laude, and the fact is that a .01 difference in gpa means the difference between cum/magna makes it even less important to me.

yeah one of my professors kept asking me, do you have a year of language? Yes. Well good for you, PBK is coming your way!

unfortunately i was just two classes away. would have been worth it to take them instead of taking two minimum credit semesters this year.

yeah one of my professors kept asking me, do you have a year of language? Yes. Well good for you, PBK is coming your way!

unfortunately i was just two classes away. would have been worth it to take them instead of taking two minimum credit semesters this year.

Well, it does not really matter - you will be going to med school so it really will not affect your future in anyway.

I keep hearing people say Phi Beta Kappa, how does it affect your medical school applications?

I made sure my quarter complimented my senioritis. I have 3 classes. One is assistning for GE genetics (easy cheesey, just have to show up and be awesome). The other is a stats course essentially tought by "the dude" from big lebowski. My last one is microbio lab.... which isn't easy but I had no choice.