Getting paid veterinary experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crocketmeow

Layers of the Retina
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow pre-vets.

I've been looking through past vet experience threads through the search function and have read what they've said. Some have been helpful in suggesting I've been doing the right things for veterinary experience.

I'm having a really difficult time finding a job consisting of veterinary or animal-related tasks. I haven't been able to do much veterinary work/shadowing/volunteer work during my time physically at school, but have had some generous hospitals in my hometown let me volunteer, shadow, and some even let me perform certain procedures and restrain the patients. All of the veterinary volunteer work has been small animal. At school, in my last year, I was in a research lab and directly involved with the rodent subjects, even giving them medication as needed.

So, I have experience in veterinary and animal settings, but it's still extremely difficult to find a job at vet hospitals. The listings say things like "1 or 2+ year veterinary experience required, must know how to insert IV catheters, radiology, etc, and I would gladly learn these techniques, but as a volunteer, places do not let me do some of these things, so I'm not sure how to go about applying to places if I don't have the chance of practicing these techniques. :eek: I've probably applied to about 80 starting from the end of spring, but no luck. I've applied as kennel attendant, tech assistant, veterinary assistant, and rarely technician and receptionist (if the listings do not specify a certain amount of experience in vet hospital required)

I have no employment history is another thing that may be an issue (I centralized my focus on school throughout high school and college), but it would be really wonderful if I could work at something I enjoy. Basically, all of my work experience is volunteer work or research. :confused:

I'd like to emphasize that I understand I'm being paid in skills and experiences, but I'm in need of starting making an income to support myself and pay for veterinary school...

Sorry this was so long. I welcome your positive or constructive feedback. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi fellow pre-vets.

I've been looking through past vet experience threads through the search function and have read what they've said. Some have been helpful in suggesting I've been doing the right things for veterinary experience.

I'm having a really difficult time finding a job consisting of veterinary or animal-related tasks. I haven't been able to do much veterinary work/shadowing/volunteer work during my time physically at school, but have had some generous hospitals in my hometown let me volunteer, shadow, and some even let me perform certain procedures and restrain the patients. All of the veterinary volunteer work has been small animal. At school, in my last year, I was in a research lab and directly involved with the rodent subjects, even giving them medication as needed.

So, I have experience in veterinary and animal settings, but it's still extremely difficult to find a job at vet hospitals. The listings say things like "1 or 2+ year veterinary experience required, must know how to insert IV catheters, radiology, etc, and I would gladly learn these techniques, but as a volunteer, places do not let me do some of these things, so I'm not sure how to go about applying to places if I don't have the chance of practicing these techniques. :eek: I've probably applied to about 80 starting from the end of spring, but no luck. I've applied as kennel attendant, tech assistant, veterinary assistant, and rarely technician and receptionist (if the listings do not specify a certain amount of experience in vet hospital required)

I have no employment history is another thing that may be an issue (I centralized my focus on school throughout high school and college), but it would be really wonderful if I could work at something I enjoy. Basically, all of my work experience is volunteer work or research. :confused:

I'd like to emphasize that I understand I'm being paid in skills and experiences, but I'm in need of starting making an income to support myself and pay for veterinary school...

Sorry this was so long. I welcome your positive or constructive feedback. Thanks.
From my experience you have to start at the bottom a lot of the time. I.e. work as a kennel assistant first, then you can start helping hold etc and then you can move onto actual medical care. I'm certain this is not the case in every person's experience but it has held relatively true in mine. So maybe look for a kennel assistant job? And also keep your ears peeled for job openings in the hospitals you've volunteered at.

She said though that she couldn't find a job as kennel assistant either.

I'm sorry I can't really help much, but can only say good luck and I hope you can find a job soon. It took me a bit to find one, too. And I'm not even sure it counts as vet experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
She said though that she couldn't find a job as kennel assistant either.

I'm sorry I can't really help much, but can only say good luck and I hope you can find a job soon. It took me a bit to find one, too. And I'm not even sure it counts as vet experience.
Oh poop I totally missed that. Sorry. There's not much else I can recommend :( sorry.

My only recommendation is to keep trying. Something will pop up eventually. :) I think for a lot of pre-vetters starting out, it's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Have you followed up on any of the clinics you applied at to let them know you're still interested? For the clinics where you volunteer/shadow, do you go there on a regular basis? If not, it might be worth trying to volunteer on a set schedule so they really get to know you and would be more likely to offer you any job that opens up. Good luck!

I'm going to second this timing bit.
Two years ago I had a really tough time even trying to find a vet to shadow. The summer after I graduated, I managed to get an internship with the clinic at my local humane society. It was just my luck that one of their vet techs was leaving. Since I was going to be around all year anyway and intern for them, they asked if I would be interested working for them as a veterinary assistant. I'm still kind of always shocked they did it because I know their financial situation isn't the best (we really need kennel techs but can't hire any), but I really think a lot of it was just awesome timing.

And I also agree that if you can establish a relationship with a particular hospital, they might me more likely to keep you on the back of their mind should a position ever open up again. I was actually let go from my current job for about a month due to financial issues, and later on another tech left because she was offered a job elsewhere. I was still coming in to shadow because, well, I knew they needed the help and I didn't want to stop getting experience, so I kept going back and ended up getting my job back. I was technically hired as a temp but haven't been let go yet even though I've know they've interviewed people who I am sure are more experienced than me (they're looking for an experienced surgery tech) but haven't hired anyone yet. Now I'm going to school in the fall, so I'm not really worried about losing my job, but part of me likes to think that it's because I work hard and get along well with everyone that they haven't replaced me sooner. So if you can establish that type of relationship somewhere, I think it will help increase your chances.

Any chance you're near one of the corporate practices? I have plenty of issues with them, but my first assistant job was with one, and it was easy to get. I was lucky to work with a veterinarian who loved to teach, and the high turnover rate meant we were frequently understaffed = lots of practice/experience for me. I left that job with great technical skills. Given the choice now, I'd choose an independent practice in a heartbeat, but the corporate setting/training tools were actually a good place to learn.

Don't give up. I spent my entire freshman year frustrated because I applied to many vet clinics, only got two interviews, and then had nothing come of the interviews.

But then I got a phone call out of the blue from one I had applied to months before asking if I was still looking for work, because they had a spot to fill and needed it filled as quickly as possible.

So just go ahead and apply anyway, and don't get discouraged even if you don't hear back, because you never know when they could need somebody right away and get in touch with you. I know the same thing doesn't always happen to every person, but I still think you don't have anything to lose by applying.

Best of luck!

P.S. The clinic that eventually hired me wasn't impressed with my scant work experience, either. You're definitely not alone on that issue!

Hey there,

So it looks like one of your main problems is gaining technical skills so that vet clinics will hire you. Well, one way that you could learn these skills is by becoming a certified vet tech or taking a few classes at your local community college about vet tech skills.

Another thing you could do is volunteer at a rescue where vets regularly come in to see the animals. Get permission to watch/participate in the procedures, and then you'll gradually learn how do to certain things like restrain animals and draw blood. I learned how to draw blood on animals that were under anestesia.

I was actually really really lucky with my first vet experience. I had known the vet running the local Maryland clinic since I was born (our parents were friends) so he enthusiastically invited me to come volunteer at his clinic. After about a year of volunteering and gaining skills, I was as skilled as the other hired techs there. The only thing I still haven't been able to do is insert catheters and draw blood from the jugular vein. But, I've done everything else. Since I was essentially a trained tech, they let me fill in for the techs whenever they needed a day off, and I got paid!

Once I had this experience, I was able to apply for an actually tech position where I go to school in Massachusetts. Now I work at the MA clinic when I'm at school, and the MD clinic when I'm home in MD.

I hope my story inspires you to not give up. Ask your parents if they know any veterinarian friends. Volunteer at shelters to gain skills. And keep shadowing/volunteering until the vet clinic is confident that you have the skills they need to hire you.

Good luck, hun!

Last edited:
I've been having a hard time finding a kennel assistant/ vet assistant job too. But, I tried applying to 15 vet offices around where I live, this was back in late April, and still have not heard anything. But, there is always a chance they could call if they need another person on their staff. In the meantime, I'm just going to job shadow and maybe volunteer somewhere to try to get more experience. :)

Did you ever call them back and ask about it? That might help! That way they know you're really interested!

Did you ever call them back and ask about it? That might help! That way they know you're really interested!

That might be a really good idea!!:)
Should I call even if they are not hiring at the moment? Because when I was turning in resumes, they basically said they would keep it on file for future reference. But, I guess calling wouldn't hurt, right?

Should I call even if they are not hiring at the moment? Because when I was turning in resumes, they basically said they would keep it on file for future reference. But, I guess calling wouldn't hurt, right?

I don't think it would hurt. Just tell them that you are still interested and hope that they would be willing to consider to you in case they are hiring again in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would hurt. Just tell them that you are still interested and hope that they would be willing to consider to you in case they are hiring again in the future.

Sounds like a good plan. Thank you!:D

Hi everyone. Thanks for the advice.

I have tried Banfield, OCvets4pets, VCA, but I've not heard from them or they require previous veterinary employment as well. As far as calling goes, I do call back, but many times, the receptionist is all I get to talk to and he/she says stuff like "we'll have [the veterinarian/manager] call you back" and in most cases, they don't, so I get confused whether I should call again the next day or if that would get annoying. But I do have to work on my assertion and stop being as passive. Currently, I am volunteering at a vet clinic but they have a set staff that has been there for ~5+ years. I'm continuing the hunt.

I have tried Banfield, OCvets4pets, VCA, but I've not heard from them or they require previous veterinary employment as well. As far as calling goes, I do call back, but many times, the receptionist is all I get to talk to and he/she says stuff like "we'll have [the veterinarian/manager] call you back" and in most cases, they don't, so I get confused whether I should call again the next day or if that would get annoying. But I do have to work on my assertion and stop being as passive. Currently, I am volunteering at a vet clinic but they have a set staff that has been there for ~5+ years. I'm continuing the hunt.

Maybe write up a cover letter, attach your resume, and physically go to these places and talk to them/give them your stuff? If you catch them at a quieter time, you may be able to speak to the vet or the head tech rather than just the receptionist. When they can see how motivated you are about getting some hours, and attach a face to a resume, they may be more willing to help you out.

Banfield has an online application now. I would fill that out before calling.

I would recommend getting a job. Any job. You will have much better luck with the job hunt if employed (backwards, I know). So work at your local coffee shop, tutor for your school, anything to get jobs on your resume and real job references.

Then once you have held that job for six months or so while still shadowing, you can start reapplying.

I found it easier to work an unrelated paid job and shadow in my free time than find a vet employer in my rural university town. After two years at the same clinic, I got to do stuff I was told never at the beginning. Sometimes it is all about trust.

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I was hired at a Banfield with little experience. I knew how to restrain, give vaccines, and do fecal smears, but that was it. They trained me to do ear cytologies, urine sediments, venipuncture, catheter placement, and eventually dental cleanings and anesthetic monitoring. I loved the doctors and other assistants, but sometimes the office managers can be nightmares and they see dollar signs instead of pets (not all, but some). I learned A LOT from Banfield, even though I didn't agree with a lot of their business and customer relations practices. I know you have already tried, but turnover is usually very high so keep looking. They announce openings on their website. They will probably start you off as a Petcare assistant for near minimum wage. Once you acquire more skills, hopefully you can get promoted to vet assistant, and still get paid next to nothing :). so bottom line: this may be the best bet for you to get paid yet still acquire technical skills. Turnover is high so keep looking.

Not sure I'm going to be adding much more than anyone else, but maybe it will help any way. But I found that when you volunteer at a shelter for awhile and they know you're interested in vet med they tend to let you help with procedures. Most shelters would die for more help and the vets who come to help are usually short staffed and will be willing to let you do simple things like vaccines and restraint. It's not much, but at least it gets you some experience to throw on a resume. And as for jobs I applied to literally every hospital I could find, hiring or not. I sent cover letters and resumes out so they knew exactly what I wanted (meaning I didn't care if I got paid or not). Unfortunately, I understand not all the places need the help, so the best you might be able to do is keep volunteering at shelters and hope for the best.

Have you considered helping at wildlife rehab facilities? It might not be your area of interest, but the ones near me always except help and you get to do a lot of hands on things like bandaging and blood draws.

Sorry this was long winded, I spent over a year looking for a job until I found one so I feel for you. Good luck!

@Snowyrox: Yeah. I may just do that. I'll be in school in my hometown part time to finish up some specific prereqs like inorganic chem and speech, but I'll see what I can do. I'm hoping Banfield works.

@ANY2003: Ok. I'll check if they have openings for pet care assistant. I've applied to about 10 tech assistant positions at Banfield. Hopefully the high turnover rate helps.

@Catlady816: Yeah. I hadn't been able to volunteer at my local shelter because they have a 1 year requirement and I was in Berkeley when in school, so it made things harder. I'm sending in my form for volunteering tomorrow and seeing if they'll let me do more. This may sound a bit morbid, but the vets that I'm currently volunteering at said I could practice catheter placement on animals that would be put to sleep... and I guess I may have more chances at a humane shelter, although the sadness is still present.

Yeah. I had applied to a couple of wildlife programs (SD zoo, wildlife images, Oregon, etc), but didn't get them.

@Everyone: To clarify confusion from other posters, I'm male.

I would recommend getting a job. Any job. You will have much better luck with the job hunt if employed (backwards, I know). So work at your local coffee shop, tutor for your school, anything to get jobs on your resume and real job references.

:thumbup::thumbup: I'll second that.

For myself, I was able to secure two different paid vet experience positions by job shadowing/volunteering first (as others have said). When I was volunteering, I was constantly on the look out for simple tasks that I could quickly be shown how to do, and then I made sure I did them on my own every time I came in (without anyone saying "hey, do this"). I quickly became the guy that always restocked supplies, cleaned exam tables, entered lab results into patient files, etc etc.

I also paid a LOT of attention to what the doctors and techs were doing. This seems like a no brainer, but I see a lot of volunteers come in that don't seem to do this. Specifically, I watched for routines. If a tech was doing a nail trim, I made sure I had the Quick Stop out and ready just in case. If a dog was heading to the back to get its weight checked, I would get there first and make sure the scale was turned on. If the doctor was doing one of his typical daily dental procedures, I got to the point where I could tell what he was going to do next. So, for example, if he was ready to start suturing and yet couldn't find his suture material, I could either a) say "its to your left next to the gauze" or b) get it for him without him having to ask. Etc etc. This is a simple way to show people that you're serious about the job.

The main reason I was told I was being offered an official position at the first clinic that hired me was because I was making everyone else's job easier. And it was all because I simply paid attention, anticipated needs, and made myself available to help with any and everything. And even though it may sound like I was hired to do the "little things" around the hospital, once I was hired I was restraining patients, taught how to draw blood, assisted in xrays, and all that other good stuff. I recently switched jobs, and the original clinic I was at started looking for someone to hire as a full time assistant to do the work that I was doing for them part time, simply because they got so used to all of the tasks I was doing for them.

So if it were me and I couldn't find a job at one of the big, high-turnover, corporate places, I would find any job I could and then find a clinic to volunteer at. Then I would find every way possible to prove to them that I was a necessity, and that I was making the daily workings of the clinic operate more smoothly.

Banfield has an online application now. I would fill that out before calling.

Banfield (truly no offense to you or anyone else employed by them) couldn't even be bothered to call me back about my summer application. Talk about unprofessional .... you always hear the stories. I decided to apply there because I felt like I should see for myself.

When they wouldn't even give me the courtesy of a callback - after I called them to follow up and was told I'd get a call within a week - I figured I had my answer.

In the end, I was kinda happy. I applied with mixed feelings (really more wanted the summer off to enjoy with family, but felt like I should build clinical experience). So not getting the job actually felt like a relief.

But still - clued me in to their lack of professionalism; at least in the HR arena.

Thanks for your post, Megascops! It's really inspired me to do the little things well to make a favorable impression. Although there's no way I can get a paid position (I'm doing an internship abroad this summer); my endgame is the LOR. :D

This was totally me last summer. I had a notepad of local vet clinics to shadow and only one said yes out of 20. I was also applying to any animal related job on craigslist. However, through career builder I got a job at Banfield. I have no job experience whatsoever. This is my first job. I never thought I would be hired as a vet assistant with no experience working at all... I've worked there since October and now I get to do surgeries. I am really thankful they hired me. Although its very daunting at first, I learned a lot with in a short time period.

It can be disheartening with rejections but never give up! There are tons of opportunities. Just keep trying. :D

This was totally me last summer. I had a notepad of local vet clinics to shadow and only one said yes out of 20. I was also applying to any animal related job on craigslist. However, through career builder I got a job at Banfield. I have no job experience whatsoever. This is my first job. I never thought I would be hired as a vet assistant with no experience working at all... I've worked there since October and now I get to do surgeries. I am really thankful they hired me. Although its very daunting at first, I learned a lot with in a short time period.

It can be disheartening with rejections but never give up! There are tons of opportunities. Just keep trying. :D

I really really hope you mean assist with surgeries:scared:

^Yeah. I *assist* in surgeries.

I feel the exact same way about Banfield!! I was a beach lifeguard before gaining my position as a vet assistant. I even filled out the application in my guard uniform while I was buying food for my dog!! Two years later, I'm still here (I couldn't risk leaving with my ever changing school schedule as I doubt anyone else would take me!)

I try to see my daily work as "practicing my client interactions" lol. I've gotten very good at communicating with the clients about some of the bogus Banfield "ways". There are many things about the corporation that I whole heartedly disagree with. But they are the only reason why I am going to be a competitive applicant, and I love the doctors and staff that I work with!

Any chance you're near one of the corporate practices? I have plenty of issues with them, but my first assistant job was with one, and it was easy to get. I was lucky to work with a veterinarian who loved to teach, and the high turnover rate meant we were frequently understaffed = lots of practice/experience for me. I left that job with great technical skills. Given the choice now, I'd choose an independent practice in a heartbeat, but the corporate setting/training tools were actually a good place to learn.
-----------------------------
Hi. Belated thanks for your advice. I have been in a teaching hospital in a corporate practice, and I definitely see why you would choose an independent place instead. I'm a surgery technician assistant and have been for 6 months. Recently, I just gained the kennel technician position weekly, so at least there is that. I think it depends on where they put you how much you can learn. The place I was accepted to definitely has its own issues and its weird being one of the only University grads working there. I'm hoping this amount of work experience is enough to apply elsewhere. I don't feel that the vet will be that great of a reference, so that is why I'm in the process of applying elsewhere.

So what is currently the most important thing to you, getting a variety of animal hours and getting paid, or is it only SA medicine you want to work in? There are several ways to skin a cat, so to say, depending on what you currently want/need.

If you are doing your undergrad at an institution with a vet school, they often have some paid positions for undergrads at the teaching hospital. You may have to volunteer there for a while so people know you and will want you when something opens up.

From my experience you have to start at the bottom a lot of the time. I.e. work as a kennel assistant first, then you can start helping hold etc and then you can move onto actual medical care. I'm certain this is not the case in every person's experience but it has held relatively true in mine. So maybe look for a kennel assistant job? And also keep your ears peeled for job openings in the hospitals you've volunteered at.

This is what I did! Worked as a kennel attendant at a hospital for a year (still there...) and I am now staring down an assistant position at another (cc) clinic. It IS hard to get in, and I took this job even having a 6-8 week old at home because I knew that I may not get another opportunity. Working kennels has been a great learning opportunity, even if it does seem like you're starting too far down the food chain. Also I would suggest not just applying for jobs that are posted, but bringing a nicely put together resume to all of your local clinics. Good luck!

I can't say how vet clinics work on this, but I worked at a small business where I was involved in some of the HR. We told people this line basically to mean "I'm sorry we aren't hiring right now, you look good but we just don't have room for you". It was really hard for a while when unemployment was so high to tell people you knew were qualified "sorry no luck here" every day. That puts it a little more gently. Also you never know when someone will unexpectedly quit/get injured/etc.

However, if someone turned in an application more than 2-3 months ago (approximately) and we hadn't heard from them since, generally we would not call if an opening came along. We would just figure that they had found something else since. There gets to be a lot of applications in those files, and when you have two weeks to get someone new hired and trained in a small buisness, making a phone call-->leaving message-->waiting to hear back can take a day per person easily. In such business, the people doing the hiring are people who have other day to day responsibilities in the business have to do the HR proceedings on top of their normal job. I hate to say, but our hires typically are lucky- either they know someone at the business and get inside info we will be hiring, or they just happen to come in at the right time.

So for those of you trying to get a job- (this is my opinion, not any official practice just to preface) don't just turn in your resume and hope to get a call in the next few months. Turn it in, and then call to check back if the manager saw it (unless they tell you they are not hiring). If they are not hiring at the time, call back periodically to check on if they will be hiring and if they still have your resume. How frequently depends on the business- if its a very small clinic that you have been going to for years and the same employees are always there, calling more than every 4-6 months is probably too much. But if its a big clinic with dozens of employees, I think maybe every 2-3 months is practical. Also, make sure to emphasize that you really want to work in that type of clinic, so you don't sound like you have been unemployable for the whole length of time you've been calling.

Last edited:
I guess you can say I am really lucky with my vet experience :oops:. I applied for a job on a whim my senior year of high school at my vet just working after school and I have been there for over 5 years now. They trained me up from not knowing anything to now, a vet student for the class of 2017. I'm even taking vet tech classes now so I can learn to put in catheters and such. I owe that clinic everything... I definitely have my complaints about management now and then but since I won't be there much longer I can't say anything.

Its really sheer luck when it comes to this type of stuff. I live in a town with a major university, with a vet school where the entire agriculture department wants to become some sort of veterinarian. Turn over can be high but most of the techs in the area need the experience and recommendations so people hold on to their ****ty positions at the 'evil' hospitals. I applied everywhere this was after I had several shadowing experiences though. If you cant get hired shadow and watch everything! Memorize how techs place IVCs, draw blood, restrain animals, which vaccine goes in which area, how to set up fecals ect. even if you dont do it watch it until you can repeat the steps in your sleep.

Then when you go apply and they have that section that says qualities you posses write down visual learner. Play up the fact in your interviews that you feel confident with a couple of tries you can learn the technique and finesse behind everything. Stated that you watched like a hawk when you have the opportunity to shadow.

I got hired a week after I spread my application like wildfire through this city. I had an interview and that night they called and hired me without a working interview due to the fact that I had shown them that I had attention to detail when I could explain the placement of an IVC to the nth detail despite never having done it.

So this thread inspired me to try reapplying for jobs at local vet clinics. I have an interview at Banfield tomorrow for a vet assistant position--yay! Anyways, what do you all think I should wear to my interview? Anything I should do to prepare? I have some questions that I'm planning on asking, but I'm wondering you all had some suggestions for other things I should ask about? Any other advice?

So this thread inspired me to try reapplying for jobs at local vet clinics. I have an interview at Banfield tomorrow for a vet assistant position--yay! Anyways, what do you all think I should wear to my interview? Anything I should do to prepare? I have some questions that I'm planning on asking, but I'm wondering you all had some suggestions for other things I should ask about? Any other advice?

I think that your dress depends on the type of interview you're going to. Dress professional to make a good impression - a suit, or slacks and a button down/blouse - unless your interview includes a "working interview" portion, for which you will probably need to wear scrubs. I would bring a change of clothes, if that's the case.

I work at a busy ER/referral hospital in my town and we've had a lot of assistants interviewing lately. Those who get second interviews are the brightest, the most engaged, and those who don't seem daunted by the work. Working in a veterinary hospital can be messy, disgusting, stressful, and even sad some days. Show them that these working conditions won't hold you back.

Good luck!!! :xf:

Its really sheer luck when it comes to this type of stuff. I live in a town with a major university, with a vet school where the entire agriculture department wants to become some sort of veterinarian.

I hate to agree with this, but for me getting started in veterinary medicine was 100% sheer luck!

One thing I do want to say is that you shouldn't be afraid to ask for a job. I got my last job (I had volunteered for a few months there) by going up to my current boss and saying "Hey, if you ever want to pay me, I would be okay with it." He said "Oh! Wow I didn't even think to pay you, that's a great idea!" Hence job. Although this situation is probably atypical, being upfront and saying what you want has given me some really cool opportunities!

The two things that are most important in this thread are first, the people who are most successful are the ones who persevere and keep trying, and second, sometimes you just get lucky.

I scrubbed poop and did the dirty work at a hospital every Saturday for 2 years before someone was like , "Hey, maybe we should pay you for this". Shortly after , I was offered a job at a practice I was shadowing at through an Animal Science course I was taking in high school. They happened to have an assistant leaving on short notice and needed someone quickly. I think it was my third day shadowing, but because I had picked up so much knowledge at the other practice I ended up being a good candidate. Now I have been a paid employee at both practices for almost 5 years.

Don't give up! Keep trying, work hard, and get your name out there.

If you're looking to make yourself competitive for a paid vet job, and you're gung ho about getting an assistant position, don't discount volunteering for shelters and spay/neuter clinics. Many (though not all) will allow you to get hands on experience with many tech skills that may help get you a paid job either at the non-profit itself or another clinic.

Started as a kennel assistant cleaning cages, picking up poop, walking animals, restocking the clinic, laundry etc (heard about the job from a friend of mine in high school), was then moved up to a veterinary assistant which for the clinics that I was working at meant cross training as a receptionist as well.... worked for the same group of animal hospitals as a "vet assistant/receptionist" (after you have been an assistant for 2 years your title was switched to vet tech, but I was not a registered tech)... worked as a vet tech for 7 years, often given the job of "lead tech" (basically supervisor for that shift). Sometimes it really is just about getting your foot in the door, but you also have to prove yourself as well.... just showing up and doing your job every day is not going to get you noticed, you have to show determination and prove that you deserve to climb that ladder.

I work at a busy ER/referral hospital in my town and we've had a lot of assistants interviewing lately. Those who get second interviews are the brightest, the most engaged, and those who don't seem daunted by the work. Working in a veterinary hospital can be messy, disgusting, stressful, and even sad some days. Show them that these working conditions won't hold you back.

I agree with this. I sent in my resume and cover letter to a family veterinarian and to a local dentistry clinic that was hiring. The dentistry clinic said they wanted someone with 2+ years experience, but they also said that they were very busy and needed help, so I put my neck out on the line and offered to volunteer in exchange for being able to observe. I got a call, received an interview, went in dressed in nice jeans (dark), a top that dressed them up to dressy-casual, did my hair nice and wore a hat. The reason I wore dressy-casual is because they had told me they were going to put me to work on the same day to do a sort of "trial." They ended up asking me to come back and by the end of the third day, 7 hours later, they offered me a paid position. Since, they have done nothing but express how grateful they are for my help and have also said that they hope I'm in for the long-haul.

The main reasons that I got this job is because I was not picky. I did not turn up my nose to scooping poop; in fact, when I had to scoop diarrhea, I actually rinsed off and cleaned the scoopers because I did not want the poop to dry and create a stench in the room. I observed, I listened, and though too shy to ask questions, I took the initiative to take on tasks I knew I could do. For example, my first day, they said I could always do the dishes (clean instruments) and they always wanted to keep laundry going. Right there are two tasks I could complete if they were busy and I had nothing to do. I so far do mostly cleaning, washing, making packs, and cleaning and stocking exam rooms, but I recently got to work with my first patient by restraining. I have also been told how to use the machines and impressed them with my ability to remember. Basically, they want someone who can learn quickly, who can respond quickly, and who works efficiently and takes direction well. They had a volunteer come in to shadow/observe and she came twice, refusing to do anything like clean kennels or laundry because they weren't what she wanted to do. Don't be that person.

Though obtaining paid work is always ideal, I would say don't go in with that objective. Show them that you're dedicated and serious by offering to volunteer in exchange for being able to shadow/observe. If you need to stay afloat financially, find paid work elsewhere and volunteer at a local vet clinic a few hours a week. It should be enough to show them your enthusiasm, passion, dedication and work ethic. Some of it is luck, and a lot of it is being in the right place at the right time, but a lot of it is showing them that you're the right candidate at that right time, too. Be honest, be authentic, be real about your expectations and also be willing to do the nitty gritty. Let them know you're not afraid to work your way up, and also be appreciative of the fact that you have the opportunity to be a part of their clinic at all. It also never hurts to be persistent and let them know that you're serious. If you send a resume to a clinic, do a follow-up call a week or two later. Ask them if they received it, or call and directly leave a message for the practice manager. Be assertive, be persistent, be patient, and be willing to accept a volunteer or shadowing position, and you'll eventually find something.

tl;dr -- You aren't going to find someone who's going to be willing to train you to insert catheters, IVs, run anasthesia, etc. if they don't know you or your work ethic. Be willing to work your way up, from scooping poo out of the grass and scrubbing blood and vomit off kennels and prove yourself that way. Listen, observe, ask questions and respect the environment you're in while being authentic with the people you work with. Be persistent, be assertive, and make follow-up calls to the practice managers after dropping off your resumes. Be willing to work for free in exchange for even being allowed in the environment, as it does require time and effort on their part to arrange to have an unskilled student come in, even if they have clinical experience. This is especially true for busier hospitals. Be willing to prove that you really want it, and you'll work your way up to that paid position.

As an equine person, I have a slightly different perspective. I volunteered at a small animal clinic for two summers, and was allowed to observe and hold animals (along with the requisite cleaning, mopping, etc). It was of course great experience - I got to watch some incredible surgeries - but in terms of learning some basic clinical skills, I learned those at a horse farm. In my experience (interested to hear what others have to say about this as well), most people who work around horses learn, at some point, how to do some basic things like IM/IV shots, medication administration (dewormers, doxy, eye ointments, and so forth), how to spot lameness, how to do wraps, etc etc. I started by volunteering to muck stalls and assist with feeding/turnout. As there have been ~50-60 horses here at any given time, I've been able to get great experience getting to know the local vets as well as carrying out treatment plans for various problems. My farm manager last year recommended me to one of the said vets, and I got to shadow once per week for about 6 months gaining even more amazing experience.

Even if your heart is set on small animal/exotics/anything other than equine, gaining equine experience will only serve to help you. Plus, after getting eye ointment successfully into a creature much larger, stronger, and opinionated that you are, you'll feel like you can do anything.

Right now I currently work as a kennel person/technician in training at a small animal hospital. All of my hours are at this one hospital, but I see many people who have hours at more than one hospital. one of my coworkers and good friend started working at another hospital a few months ago and i have visited so I am familiar with the people who work there, would it be better if I shadowed there a couple days too just to get hours at a different hospital as well and see how different hospitals run and how different doctors work?