Getting Paid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbrown

chicken
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When we expect our first paycheck? have to start thinking about cost of moving, etc...just wondering how long I am going to be out the cost of moving.

Members don't see this ad.

You are going to need lots of extra money. You'll probably need at least 500-1,000 just for moving expenses if you're changing cities. You'll probably fork over another 500-1,000 on household supplies and finishing touches (little things like an end table or a tv, etc). Then you'll also have to pay the first months rent + security deposit (probably another 1,000-2,000) up front. Then you'll also get hit by your second months rent before you even get your paycheck (another 500-1,000), plus the cost of living for the first month, including gas, food, books, etc... so I would plan on expecting to have at least $5,000 surplus to get by until that first paycheck comes rolling in.

Don't expect your first paycheck until you have been working for two weeks or so (and most places won't pay you for orientation)...

Members don't see this ad :)
NinerNiner999 said:
Don't expect your first paycheck until you have been working for two weeks or so (and most places won't pay you for orientation)...

I started last week of June...

first pay check the last Friday of July :(

Tap the savings, sportsfans...

We started July 1st, didn't get paid until July 30th.

Let's just say that I have no savings left after that. (well that, AND beer)

southerndoc said:
If orientation is required, then it's the law: thou shalt pay for orientation. :)

Yeah, I wish. Our program offers a generous amount of vacation time (5 weeks), and they justify the intern's Christmas/New Year's vacation by having us come in one week early for orientation (we get paid by having a week of paid holiday vacation ).

At my program, they gave us like a $3000 cash advance, to be paid back over the next 6 months by auto-deducting it from our next 12 paychecks. That was very helpful, and maybe they will do it for you too.

southerndoc said:
If orientation is required, then it's the law: thou shalt pay for orientation. :)

Emory doesn't pay for orientation...at least for Peds. I don't know about EM.

Is it time for your 2nd residency relocation loan?