Getting placed as an alternate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^Basically

Keep in mind there are a handful of students who get offers from several schools and that the school you are an alternate for, has students who will decline their offers to go to a different choice. In fact schools actually give out more invitations than seats knowing that an 'x' amount of students usually will decline.
 
I haven't seen a rejection from anyone that was granted and attended an interview. I don't think it exists. Just an acceptance or an alternate/waiting list exists. So sometimes an alternate is a nice way of saying "no thanks we do t want u".
 
I haven't seen a rejection from anyone that was granted and attended an interview. I don't think it exists. Just an acceptance or an alternate/waiting list exists. So sometimes an alternate is a nice way of saying "no thanks we do t want u".

It DOES happen, I know frtiends and I have myself too. It's just most people dont post on here when they get rejected
 
I was rejected from the first school I interviewed at. Got accepted at my next interview.

Like everybody else, I didn't bother posting about the rejection.
 
It DOES happen, I know frtiends and I have myself too. It's just most people dont post on here when they get rejected

Really? Wow. I guess it does exist. I personally don't know of anyone that has been flat out denied after an interview. It must be rare.
 
If you get placed as an alternate, is that typically a good thing or bad?

Are you an alternate before or after the interview? If you are an alternate before you even get an interview, then you have a long ways to go. If you are an alternate after the interview, you might have more of a chance.

I'm a pharmacist today because I got in as an alternate. 🙂 Not to give false hope or anything, but it does happen.
 
Really? Wow. I guess it does exist. I personally don't know of anyone that has been flat out denied after an interview. It must be rare.

You can't assume it is rare when your data of N number people who were never rejected is probably less than 10 people out of thousands who apply or hundreds who interview. My class has re-applicants who finally made it in.
 
I was denied after one of my interviews. I was so surprised. SDN had led me to believe no one gets denied after an interview, lol.