Getting procedure training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttchi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year IM resident at a smaller community hospital, planning to do hospitalist medicine next year. I'd also like to work at a small community hospital, and even pick up some moonlighting shifts in a small ICU where they need hospitalist coverage. I'm not getting much experience at all in a lot of standard procedures: central lines, U/S guided peripheral lines, para/thoracentesis, LPs, etc. I'm wondering about how difficult it is to get supervised experience once you're out of residency? I know smaller places are always looking for docs that can do procedures, and a lot of docs aren't interested, so there must be a way.

Also, I have an elective block in the spring, and have been looking to do an away procedures elective (ideally Chicago area or Midwest?), and have been having a hard time finding one. Many larger institutions have their own residents who are also wanting experience. Any thoughts/ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You dont need supervision to place an us guided iv. For the others the icu rotation should be enough but if not then try an emergency medicine rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year IM resident at a smaller community hospital, planning to do hospitalist medicine next year. I'd also like to work at a small community hospital, and even pick up some moonlighting shifts in a small ICU where they need hospitalist coverage. I'm not getting much experience at all in a lot of standard procedures: central lines, U/S guided peripheral lines, para/thoracentesis, LPs, etc. I'm wondering about how difficult it is to get supervised experience once you're out of residency? I know smaller places are always looking for docs that can do procedures, and a lot of docs aren't interested, so there must be a way.

Also, I have an elective block in the spring, and have been looking to do an away procedures elective (ideally Chicago area or Midwest?), and have been having a hard time finding one. Many larger institutions have their own residents who are also wanting experience. Any thoughts/ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

It's not hard per se but you need to be available and have someone willing to mentor you. You will also need to find out what number the institution you are looking to get privileges at wants you to have.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

Try to get the training now. Do a rotation in IR.

I'd advise you to do the same if you graduate and still haven't done enough. More likely than not IR will be happy to teach you how to do a paracentesis so they don't have to do it next time.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to get the training now. Do a rotation in IR.

I'd advise you to do the same if you graduate and still haven't done enough. More likely than not IR will be happy to teach you how to do a paracentesis so they don't have to do it next time.
Especially if you're at a place where there aren't rads residents or IR fellows who also need those procedures.

Reactions: 1 user