Sep 3, 2015
Outer Gates
Status
Pre-Medical
I am going to a scho part time that has several work study jobs as a lab assistant in various research projects. 1-2 fit with my schedule, but I am unsure how to frame my experience to apply.
I have never done research before, I have had some stats classes but about ten years ago.
Would you recommend taking another stat class before applying for these? What skills are typically sought in an assistant?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
In a wet lab, you need to know how to make solutions, weigh out reagents, calculate molar concentrations, grow cells of any kind without contaminating them, use a microscope, and use both a micropipettor and a pipette gun to aliquot liquid reagents.

You should also know who to record data, and learn how to interpret it. If you didn't record it, you didn't perform it.

I am going to a scho part time that has several work study jobs as a lab assistant in various research projects. 1-2 fit with my schedule, but I am unsure how to frame my experience to apply.
I have never done research before, I have had some stats classes but about ten years ago.
Would you recommend taking another stat class before applying for these? What skills are typically sought in an assistant?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
It depends on the lab... someone I know in real life just got hired a few hours a week on a lab on campus. The interview questions were: 1) what hours are you available and 2) are you okay around dead fish?

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If you show that you are willing to learn, happy to work hard, and are committed, I bet they will happily teach you whatever you need to know.

The PI's want to make sure you will be dependable before they sign you on - that's more important than any skills you come in with, at the entry level.

Reactions: TheZaLord
Oct 8, 2014
Landlocked
Status
Pre-Medical
I had a PI recommend me a research job. I have no experience, but he said they'll teach me everything and just asked if I was okay working with animals...:beaver: