getting started .. help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cactus123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and I was reading some of the posts and it was helpful so far but now I have a set of my own questions. =)

I'm a Senior undergraduate about to graduate in 2 months.. I set up all of my four college years to go to medschool, but all of a sudden I'm having huge doubts and second thoughts. I know I love medicine and I would love to serve my community in that way. As I am getting deeper into the med school application process... I'm really starting to think that that lifestyle might not be for me. My chances of getting into a med school are not that great but I'm pretty sure I can get into at least one if I studied my butt off for the MCAT I am currently registered for. BUTTT now I'm really considering pharmacy, since I found out about residency and how I could be accepted into a cancer center pharmacy ( I have 2 yrs research experience in oncology and a publication).
SOO.. NOW I am highly considering pharmacy..but I have NO CLUE of how to get started.

I want to apply this year before the november deadlines. I am willing to take all the extra classes I need this summer, but the only thing I am worried about is pharmacy experience. I haven't volunteered in a pharmacy since highschool and I haven't ever worked in a pharmacy before. I DO have much clinical volunteer ( not in pharmacy but in medical) and research experience.

Do you think it is a good idea to try to apply by this year's deadline?
What if I started working at a pharmacy but only for a couple of months before I applied? Would that work against me? or would it not matter?

yea just a bunch of questions... I really don't know much about how to be a good pharmacy school applicant. Any information will help !! thankk youu

Members don't see this ad.

The pre-pharamcy forum will be much more useful to you right now. I would imagine that you could be ready to apply by next fall. Many of the prereqs are the same between med and pharmacy programs. Working in a pharmacy before you apply is helpful, but not a requirement.