Getting Started in Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laanan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking to see if anyone knows of a good guide (or can just provide some guidance) on getting started in private practice. Specifically, I know there are a bunch of licenses, etc., that I will need. My state license is pending/in-process, but I know I will also need NPI and DEA #s. Does anyone know if I can apply for these before having mt state license granted? Are there other licenses that I will need that I am not thinking of? I plan to practice in CA. I have some working interviews set up for after I move, and I want to be completely ready for them as soon as possible.

Other California specific questions:

1) Do you need a special license to administer nitrous?
2) What about hypnosis (I am trained in clinical hypnosis)?

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Smiles,

Matt

Members don't see this ad.

In order for someone to hire you to work as an associate, you will need to have a dental license, DEA license, CPR certificate, and malpractice insurance. I believe the NPI number is for insurance billing purpose only and you will not need it if you work for someone else. The dental chain, where I currently work at, applied for the NPI number for me. Here is what required in the state of CA: http://www.sedationregulations.com/california

In order for someone to hire you to work as an associate, you will need to have a dental license, DEA license, CPR certificate, and malpractice insurance. I believe the NPI number is for insurance billing purpose only and you will not need it if you work for someone else. The dental chain, where I currently work at, applied for the NPI number for me. Here is what required in the state of CA: http://www.sedationregulations.com/california

This is correct. You will only use your NPI for contracting with insurances. So, if you at working for a dentist who owns the practice then the associate will be filing under the owners NPI. That's what we do (and is the most logical).