Getting the interview?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidcoastME

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to dental schools, and while I have already received one interview (UCONN), I was wondering if anyone has advice about how to convince other schools to interview me. My numbers are only okay, 3.4 GPA and 19 on the DAT, so I'm worried they will see those and ignore the rest of my application. Is it good to contact the deans? the faculty? anyone else? and just continuously express my interest in the schools? Especially Tufts, that would be my top choice!

Members don't see this ad.

the convincing is done with your app, no further convincing is necessary. do not contact that dean or faculty. If you would like, send over an email of interest, thats about it. do not annoy the schools, especially if they specifically request applicants not to contact them.

You can also send an email of threat such as: "If you don't grant me an interview by X date, then forget it, you missed out on me."

It's similar to picking up a girl. If you show your desperation then you have no shot. But if you show that you don't need/want her, then she'll be all over you. Schools are the same way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also send an email of threat such as: "If you don't grant me an interview by X date, then forget it, you missed out on me."

It's similar to picking up a girl. If you show your desperation then you have no shot. But if you show that you don't need/want her, then she'll be all over you. Schools are the same way.

So what is the different between having 15' and 20' Dat?

Haha, never thought of it that way. So probably won't be quite so blunt as that, but along those lines I was thinking about letting the other schools know that I have an interview at UCONN and that if I'm accepted there they will have missed out on me....thoughts?

Haha, never thought of it that way. So probably won't be quite so blunt as that, but along those lines I was thinking about letting the other schools know that I have an interview at UCONN and that if I'm accepted there they will have missed out on me....thoughts?

Yes. Do this immediately. Call any midwestern states that are on your list first. And UofM should be your first and foremost. :thumbup:

there's a lot of sarcastic a-holes on here... but since you do only have 5 posts i will assume that you might not be used to the level of sarcasm on here. i hope you are not being sarcastic about what you just said. for your sake, please don't do that... unless you want to commit application suicide.

there's a lot of sarcastic a-holes on here... but since you do only have 5 posts i will assume that you might not be used to the level of sarcasm on here. i hope you are not being sarcastic about what you just said. for your sake, please don't do that... unless you want to commit application suicide.

Yea, I only have 5 posts, but I've been reading SDN for a long time, I was just pushing the envelope with that one because I thought it was funny - but then also looking for serious input from people other than PreDent321. Thanks for the heads up, nice to know there are people who genuinely care about others!

My post was sarcasm btw. (Guess I'm one of the a-holes :D )

Anywho, don't give the d-schools an ultimatum. It will end badly.

(I kinda thought you were joking though....)

hang in there - Tufts hasn't even started handing out interviews yet, though now that its october they should be definitely by mid-october.

Interviews for Tufts start in november!
Your idea about foraging relationships with people at the dental school is a good idea...but it typically should be started before the application process has even started! I'm not saying it won't hurt to do that/ still could be beneficial, but typically its more effective when done over a longer period of time. Good luck!

Yea, I only have 5 posts, but I've been reading SDN for a long time, I was just pushing the envelope with that one because I thought it was funny - but then also looking for serious input from people other than PreDent321. Thanks for the heads up, nice to know there are people who genuinely care about others!
:thumbup::D

My bads for trying to help someone who I genuinely thought was going to take bad advice. I should really try to lighten up from now on huh.

Alright yea!!! Cool!! Jokes are fun! :D :thumbup: yay!!!

Your Mom Goes To College.