Getting the right doctor on the Rx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GreyFox2002

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We all have been there. Some resident from a community health clinic or an ER scribbles their name on a generic pad leaving you with no idea who it is honestly. It's either Monday at 4 pm and its slammed and you have a stack of waiters, or its Friday night at 5:30 and you have no way of knowing who it could be. What do you do? Just pick the closest doc in your database, select the generic name of the health care institution, etc? I mean for controls it's obviously very important, but sometimes for anything else it just seems to tedious when it's busy.

Thanks for your input
 
When I was new this used to really bother me. I haven't thought about it in months now. Not sure what that says about me.

I just type the phone number in and select whatever seems to me to be the closest match. Realistically what can you do?

I tried calling a hospital once to track down someone who wrote a prescription (it had to be clarified) where we couldn't figure out who wrote it, that was a nightmare. Not something I would be interested in doing on a regular basis.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think people should try their absolute best to pick the correct doctor, bee-cause, doctors are reported to state agencies via MPDP. We've gotten record requests from physicians concerning prescriptions "that they didn't even write".
 
Use the attending. Its pretty easy to get if it's not already on the blank or you can give the rx back to the patient, tell them it's not valid because its not stamped and let them go back to fix it. When a ranting patient storms into the hostpital problems get fixed a lot faster than me waitin on hold
 
I've done various things. Frequently, asking the person who saw the doctor (the patient :idea:) tends to work best. When the patient isn't present, it gets a little dicier, but most offices I've called know who the patient saw that day. Hospital discharges are certainly more difficult, but usually the attending is listed somewhere, even if they didn't write it. If it's after hours, and you can't get ahold of someone and the patient doesn't know which doctor they say, then it's just like a multiple choice test, you pick & pray.