Getting to SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ubcredfox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how best to get to SUNY Upstate for an interview...

I'm planning on a Monday interview, so I thought I'd spend the weekend living with some med students (is that possible? matriculants - any ideas?) just so I could get a feel for Syracuse. I've actually never been to that part of the world before.

My plan is to fly from SeaTac (Seattle) to either a) Syracuse or b) New York. How long of a drive is it from NYC to Syracuse and how expensive/affordable would car rental be?

Last I checked flights to Syracuse were $233.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

NYC to Syracuse is a 4-5 hour drive. If you decided to do that, I would fly into Newark because the best way to drive there is through PA, otherwise you add another hour to the drive (at least).

Personally, I would fly into Syracuse.

you're DEFINITELY better off flying straight to syracuse and taking a bus or cab from there.

i'm a ny resident, and i'm pretty sure you have to be 25 to rent a car here without any hassle. if you do manage to rent a car, the drive will take at least 5 hours from either JFK or LGA. i think it's about the same from Newark, as embily said.

Members don't see this ad :)
ubcredfox said:
I'm planning on a Monday interview, so I thought I'd spend the weekend living with some med students (is that possible? matriculants - any ideas?)

Not sure if they have a student host or something like that...I know no one who goes to that school, so I plan to stay in hotel...How are you planning to stay with some med students??

hanjoko said:
Not sure if they have a student host or something like that...I know no one who goes to that school, so I plan to stay in hotel...How are you planning to stay with some med students??

Ya..that was the idea. I don't know anyone at the school either. I don't want to stay in a hotel because I can't afford to stay in a hotel. Maybe I'll bring a tent and sleep on the lawn...*classy*

ubcredfox said:
Ya..that was the idea. I don't know anyone at the school either. I don't want to stay in a hotel because I can't afford to stay in a hotel. Maybe I'll bring a tent and sleep on the lawn...*classy*

I think there is a hotel that they recommend...and you get a discount...about 90 or 80 dollars per night (if I remember correctly...check their website). They also have shuttle service to take you both to/from the school and the airpor.