Getting Veterinary Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jena

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a tough time getting veterinary experience does anyone have any suggestions. Also I do I have any chance in getting into veterinary school with overall GPA 3.29, I'm in my junior year of college studying Biology. If I don't have a chance could possibly look at getting an advanced degree in my field? Any suggestion would be fine.

Thank You :)

Members don't see this ad.

you could always try a ph.d in animal science if you don't do vet school. not sure if youd have to take some animal courses to apply tho.

I am considering trying for both vet school and advanced animal science degree atm. Just keeping the ideas at the back of my mind. (not sure which one i would choose)

Vet experience, apply everywhere and/or volunteer. Try to find a professor or someone who can recommend you to a vet before you even apply. Explain to the vet when you are applying that you want to go into veterinary medicine and need the experience, they are more likely to hire you then even if it is just a few hours a week.

As for getting in with a 3.29, that depends on where you are willing to go. You wouldn't really have a chance somewhere like Tufts, but at Oklahoma State people have gotten in with under a 3.0. Plus tuition and living expense in really cheap at OkState.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, jena...

the volunteer method worked wonderfully for me. i worked at a couple of private
practices, an emergency hospital, a wildlife rescue, and rural area veterinary services
(ruralareavet.org). i basically walked in and said i planned to go to vet school and i
wanted to gain some experience. i could only work limited hours, but i was serious and
reliable. one job started as mainly kennel work, but quickly developed into much more
as they were understaffed and i proved capable. at the emergency hospital i was thrown
in much sooner. it was great to be able to help out like i did, and i learned a ton.

as for your gpa, bring it up. a 3.29 is pretty good. you can do a lot of good with a year
of 4.0 or 3.8. and if you don't get in the first time, with a second year of 4.0 or 3.8.
plus, it buoys your last 45 gpa, and, in biology, you're prob'ly taking a lot of upper
division science courses, so your science gpa, as well.

we all have reasons why our gpa may be low our first couple of years. my first semester
i had a 3.23. in graduate school, i had a 3.1. 20 hours of 4.0 work later, my last 45 went
from 3.1 to 3.7. gpa isn't the end-all, but it does weigh heavily in the admissions process
at many schools, unfortunately.

best wishes...

jena said:
Hi,

I'm having a tough time getting veterinary experience does anyone have any suggestions. Also I do I have any chance in getting into veterinary school with overall GPA 3.29, I'm in my junior year of college studying Biology. If I don't have a chance could possibly look at getting an advanced degree in my field? Any suggestion would be fine.

The best way to get in-depth experience is to get a job at a vet hospital. Just apply for a job. Many practices are eager to hire pre-vets.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I'll look into all of it :D

Again Thank You :)

I am going to get my first veterinary experience on Tuesday. I went through the phonebook and went round to all the vet clinics that were easy to access and handed the people at the front desk a little resume with my transcripts.

I explained that I was in the animal sciences and wanted to volunteer. Out of all the clinics I got the green flag at one. I believe this was because it was the only one where I actually got to talk to the vet. The others I just gave my stuff to the middlemen.

I'm gonna go in with an open mind tuesday and see if I like it. I have fondness for veterinary medicine due to the series of books by james herriot as well as the BBC series based on them but I will have to see if it translates into real life!

Wow :) that's great good luck with your veterinary experience :)

on the general topic of getting experience and what to possibly expect:

today i saw 2 neuterings, a spaying and the removal of a sock from an obstructed colon. it was all very interesting. i still am still kicking the experience around my mind but i do know that it was interesting.

id really like to see surgery being performed on a horse/other large animal. that would be kinda nifty. i might try to shadow for at least a day at the uni large animal clinic just to scope the field

also i learned vets can make alot of money if they have their own practice or if they have learned a speciality...

omg i rectally palpated cows today.

it wasnt so bad. it really wasn't.

its like i always say. everything is made of the same atoms its just some of em look grosser in certain combinations hahaha

anyway...i learned how to find the cervix down there

sounds like a hand full....

aubieRx said:
omg i rectally palpated cows today.

it wasnt so bad. it really wasn't.

its like i always say. everything is made of the same atoms its just some of em look grosser in certain combinations hahaha

anyway...i learned how to find the cervix down there

aubie where are you from?

i'm pretty jealous at your accessibility to animals!! living in suburbia (san diego and the oc), i am only limited to a VERY picky equine hospital and a few vet clinics. luckily i am doing pretty well in an animal ER and still trying to get into the equine hospital by first getting experience with horses (husbandry and helping w/ therapeutic riding). oh yeah i have experience with sea turtles: i think it was a full-time/intense 3 month internship.

VeganSoprano said:
The best way to get in-depth experience is to get a job at a vet hospital. Just apply for a job. Many practices are eager to hire pre-vets.

here's the deal though...I tried to volunteer with a vet but when I tried to talk to the vet, the receptionist wouldnt let me see him saying that he was "busy with appointments", then said they "don't do volunteers" at his facility. :mad: :thumbdown:

how to get past the receptionist?? any methods?!?! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
SMW83 said:
here's the deal though...I tried to volunteer with a vet but when I tried to talk to the vet, the receptionist wouldnt let me see him saying that he was "busy with appointments", then said they "don't do volunteers" at his facility. :mad: :thumbdown:

Call...ask to speak to the veterinarian (helps if you know their name). If they are unavailable (seeing appts/in surgery) give them your name and phone number for the vet to call you back.

its almost impossible to volunteer at a small practice unless u got connections. usually hospitals or the BIG practices are the places u need to check out cuz they usually have volutneer programs set up there already for you to take advantage of.

w00t 1 more final baby.

hney is upenn located in west philly/"bad" area?

SMW83 said:

You can try writing a letter and mailing it to him, so he can read it and get back to you when he's not busy--or just keep trying at different places. Some vets really don't like to have volunteers around for liability and convenience reasons.

You can also apply for a job as a kennel assistant--that's the entry level job, mostly cleaning, but you can work your way up from there. And the SPCA and Humane Society are almost always looking for volunteers. Once you get some volunteer time doing anything in the area of animal care, it will make it easier to get better jobs/volunteer positions.

Hi- Of course you have a chance getting into vet school, don't be crazy. Your so young also and if you don't get in just apply again and you will. I'm in Cornell now and I promise if you want it you can get it. Just keep the grades up, (3.3 is good) get some solid scores on the GRE's and get lot's of interesting animal experience. I worked on a dairy farm (volunteered) and worked in a small animal hospital (volunteered). There are people in my class who did everything (research work with monkees, whatever) just get your hands dirty that's what's most important. Don't listen to everyone else saying how competitve it is, just tune all that out and go for it.. there are the superstars in my class but most people are just normal and kept plugging away at it.. don't let the hype get in the way of the decision.

jena said:
Hi,

vet_to_be said:
Hi- Of course you have a chance getting into vet school, don't be crazy. Your so young also and if you don't get in just apply again and you will. I'm in Cornell now and I promise if you want it you can get it. Just keep the grades up, (3.3 is good) get some solid scores on the GRE's and get lot's of interesting animal experience. I worked on a dairy farm (volunteered) and worked in a small animal hospital (volunteered). There are people in my class who did everything (research work with monkees, whatever) just get your hands dirty that's what's most important. Don't listen to everyone else saying how competitve it is, just tune all that out and go for it.. there are the superstars in my class but most people are just normal and kept plugging away at it.. don't let the hype get in the way of the decision.

lol are those words of encouragement and optimism? thanks.

I find the easiest way to get a position at a private clinic is to apply through the office manager, and not through the receptionist or the vet. Find clinics in your area and start handing out resumes, and when you speak to the receptionist ask for the office manager's name and number. Give the manager a call back in a couple of days to follow up on your resume. They are usually a lot more accomodating and want to help out.

I applied to 5 clinics through the office manager, and got placements at 3 of them. I ended up volunteering at 2, but now I'm only at one due to not having enough time to do 2 places.

Also, if you are having trouble getting a placement at a certain clinic, don't bother pressing the subject. You want to be at a place where they want you to be there, and not see you as a nuisance getting "experience" -- which you are obviously not getting if that is how they view you anyways.

I also think the best place to get experience is in a private clinic and not a big ER hospital, where you are just a "volunteer" and asked to do menial tasks. Private clinics allow you to create a relationship with everyone, not only the vet, but the other people who help run the clinic -- vet tech, office mangers, etc... which are also an important part of clinics.

I volunteer at a private clinic and I'm getting amazing experience. I've gotten to know everyone very well, and even though I'm just a volunteer I help out in surgery preps and in the OR for both minor (spays, neuters) and major (cruciates, TPLOs) surgeries. I take and record manual readings of RR, HR and BP and I also monitor anestheia during the surgery, of course with the help and supervision of the vet tech and the vet. And since I have a close relationship with everyone, they are all eager to explain things to me or answer my questions. The vet even takes his time to go through the surgery step-by-step telling me what he is doing and why, like he is teaching a vet course to me -- which is an amazing experience!!

The last comment I have to make is about kennel work -- my suggestion is if you want real experience, do not work as a kennel staff. I mean yes, you do get experience learning to restrain animals (which is so damn important with vicous cats!!) and other menial things, but I found the job repetitive and not a great learning expereince. As kennel staff you have a duty, therefore you can't just stand around and watch a surgery be preformed, or watch a problematic animal being dealt with, or see a diagnosis being made, you have to do your job instead. I found it very unfulfilling, "experience" wise, and therfore went back to just volunteering...

Anyways, thats my 2 cents about getting experience... a very long 2 cents... haha

SMW83 said:

Easy - don't volunteer. Apply for a job. Troll the classified ads in the paper, Craigslist, Monster.com, wherever. Turnover among vet support staff is usually fairly high so jobs are pretty abundant.

A volunteer takes up doctor and staff time and it's understandable that they may not want a volunteer. If you are actually doing work, there is the issue of the vet hospital being a for-profit entity and it having volunteers in a for-profit business might be a little shakey from a legal perspective. But if you are an employee, you will be an asset to the clinic and will also be able to get more experience and training since it will be in their best interests for you to learn things and expand your skills.

Charm_333 said:
I find the easiest way to get a position at a private clinic is to apply through the office manager, and not through the receptionist or the vet. Find clinics in your area and start handing out resumes, and when you speak to the receptionist ask for the office manager's name and number. Give the manager a call back in a couple of days to follow up on your resume. They are usually a lot more accomodating and want to help out.

I applied to 5 clinics through the office manager, and got placements at 3 of them. I ended up volunteering at 2, but now I'm only at one due to not having enough time to do 2 places.

Also, if you are having trouble getting a placement at a certain clinic, don't bother pressing the subject. You want to be at a place where they want you to be there, and not see you as a nuisance getting "experience" -- which you are obviously not getting if that is how they view you anyways.

I also think the best place to get experience is in a private clinic and not a big ER hospital, where you are just a "volunteer" and asked to do menial tasks. Private clinics allow you to create a relationship with everyone, not only the vet, but the other people who help run the clinic -- vet tech, office mangers, etc... which are also an important part of clinics.

I volunteer at a private clinic and I'm getting amazing experience. I've gotten to know everyone very well, and even though I'm just a volunteer I help out in surgery preps and in the OR for both minor (spays, neuters) and major (cruciates, TPLOs) surgeries. I take and record manual readings of RR, HR and BP and I also monitor anestheia during the surgery, of course with the help and supervision of the vet tech and the vet. And since I have a close relationship with everyone, they are all eager to explain things to me or answer my questions. The vet even takes his time to go through the surgery step-by-step telling me what he is doing and why, like he is teaching a vet course to me -- which is an amazing experience!!

The last comment I have to make is about kennel work -- my suggestion is if you want real experience, do not work as a kennel staff. I mean yes, you do get experience learning to restrain animals (which is so damn important with vicous cats!!) and other menial things, but I found the job repetitive and not a great learning expereince. As kennel staff you have a duty, therefore you can't just stand around and watch a surgery be preformed, or watch a problematic animal being dealt with, or see a diagnosis being made, you have to do your job instead. I found it very unfulfilling, "experience" wise, and therfore went back to just volunteering...

Anyways, thats my 2 cents about getting experience... a very long 2 cents... haha

Excellent response. I 2nd the above comments, except for the very first part. Sometimes if a vet knows you share their passion, and want to apply to vet school they are more likely to help you than the office manager. Just depends on the area, amount of students that ask the office manager or vet, etc...
:thumbup:

K0be Bryant Rox My Sox

u've gotten so much encouragement and advice, seriously atleast one of these should be helpful.

Charm has a good point about kennel assistants.

One thing I've noticed--

Some clinics and hospitals seem to have only technicians and kennel assistants. The techs do all the interesting stuff and the kennel assistants do all the cleaning. Some places also have technician assistants. That is the position I just started at a great place and it's working out really well. It's perfect because I'm not certified or even very experienced but I'm not stuck being just a janitor.

Besides the doctors and receptionists, there's only techs and tech assistants. As a tech assistant, I do the majority of the cleaning, but I also put patients in rooms, get weights, temps, and histories, restrain patients, monitor anesthesia during surgeries, etc. The other tech assistant is being trained to do dentals and she's only been there for about 3-4 months, so I'm sure I'll be doing even more by the summer. My job and the techs' overlap and everyone pitches in to do whatever needs to be done.

My point is that finding the right place makes a huge difference. And having the right attitude--if you are enthusiastic and thorough about all parts of the job, even the menial ones, and show yourself to be useful, your coworkers will be happy to teach you things and answer your questions.

I definitely agree that any job titled "kennel assistant" is not going to give you much if any exposure to the medical side of things. It's a good job to take if you are in high school or maybe in your first year or so of undergrad but not if you are within a year or two of applying. Sure, you might get a promotion, but when you are getting close to application time you don't want to hang your hopes on a promotion that might or might not ever happen.

The titles to look for are "tech" (if you have experience and if your state does not require techs to be licensed), "tech assistant", or "vet assistant". And always ask questions during an interview. An extremely small practice that does a significant amount of non-medical boarding could mean that you will spend most of your time walking dogs and cleaning cages regardless of your title. There's nothing wrong with this work, of course, but if vet school applications are on the horizon then you really want to maximize your medical exposure and experience.

i agree with vegan soprano (and others) - kennel assistant won't give you much insight into the medical aspect of animal care. but it does get your foot in the door. it does count as animal experience, and the right attitude may make the difference between remaining a kennel assistant or becoming a tech assistant.

i started working at a clinic as a kennel assistant. it just so happened they were busy and under-staffed. i was doing tech work in a matter of weeks. not long after i started i was observing and learning about pain management and anesthetic induction and management with humane society spay and neuter surgeries that the dr. brought in on tuesday mornings before i went to my real job.

i also worked at an emergency hospital. when it was slow, i did a lot of cleaning and laundry. when it was busy, i did all sorts of cool stuff.

one other key - start getting experience way, way before you're ready to apply to vet school. that seems to go without saying, but i've known many a pre-vet student in her junior year who had yet to gain any substantial experience. even four hours a week adds up to 200 hours per year.

just my $.02 for what it is worth:
1. Check to see if there are larger hospitals in your area. They are so dependent on their volunteers. I started at a large non-profit hospital here in Denver. I worked in the spay/neuter clinic monitoring animals as they awoke from their surgeries, cleaning their incisions, extubating, etc. It is often easier to get good hands-on clinical experience at a large hospital than a small clinic.
2. Call around to places to see if they would at least let you observe. I now work at a small animal clinic and we often have high school students come in for a couple hours to check the place out, watch surgeries, etc. These can count as hours on your app, and they will give you a good idea early if this is the career for you.
3. If a kennel assistant position comes up, take it. We have a kennel worker at the clinic I work at who wants to be a tech. She is a very hard worker and really proved herself back in the kennels, so when she asked the owner if she could shadow the techs and at least do some restraining, cleaning, monitoring the patients, etc, he was more than willing to let her. Clinics are crazy places and often short-staffed. I can pretty much guarantee that if you start low on the totem pole and prove yourself to be competent and hard-working, you'll move right up.

And as far as your app, GET EXPERIENCE. I have been rejected twice based on lack of experience, and the second time I had racked up about 1800 hours of hands on clinical (not trying to discourage you, but give you an idea about what they are looking for). Hopefully third time is a charm.

Sorry, that was a lot more than just 2 cents....

I definetly think getting as much exposure as you can is an added bonus. I have worked with large animals, small animal emergency and internal medicine clinic, research facility and a diagnostic lab.

By working at the diagnostic lab I have come to love pathology and plan on pursuing it in vet school (while leaving my options open). My experiences have definetly helped me in school with classes such as parasitology, zoology and anat/phys. You get to apply what you are learning and for me that is the best way I learn. So when you get to do a fecal float and you see a football shaped oocyst you can think Trichuris vulpis (whipworm).

Another great thing for me is that everywhere I have worked the doctors have been great about answering and asking me questions. There are so many fields in veterinary medicine and I think many people get stuck on small animals and large animals. Its amazing to look at what is actually out there.