GI and Endocrine books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beanbean

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for good books for GI or endocrine? My physiology book has way too much detail.

Thanks!

Deirdre

Members don't see this ad.

I think Ganong's Physiology review text in the Lange series is excellent as is Guyton's Physiology. Guyton's is a bit more friendly to read (and as I remember it had more pathophysiology). Ganong is denser, but the text has practice questions at the end and is more concise for board prep.

My school used the physio monograph series with separate texts on each organ system -- I thought they were impossible to get through so I used the general texts of Guyton and Ganong and did fine.

The 'purple' physio book written by Linda Costanzo (same author of the infamous brs physio review book) is ALL you need. IMHO, Guyton is overkill unless your learning style calls for such dense texts. Costanzo's purple book was my bible for physio, and I also used it extensively to review the physio for systems during second year.

For GI, if you are looking for a good book that addresses the pertinent physiology, pathophysiology, and management (to a degree) then I suggest 'Current Medical Diagnosis and Management in Gastroenterology'. It is an excellent book to give you a very solid feel for GI. One of the directors of our GI block (Dr. Kenneth McQuaid, who was an amazing teacher) is one of the co-authors, which led me to this book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-3336650-4238520?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I'm not sure how this series is for Endocrine, but I remember the chapters on endocrine in the Lange series' pathophysiology of disease were pretty good.
I don't like straight up physiology textbooks. I like physio that is provided along with pathophys.

While studying for step1, I found Costanza's BRS physio to be great. It has a very logical flow and provides you with a clear picture in regards to the important aspects of physiology. I would read that, and if there are topics where you find yourself confused or shaky with, then I would look to a larger source of information.

Good luck.