GI fellowship after mediocre IM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dennisscott

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what are the chances of obtaining a Gi fellowship after IM from a mediocre program. If its possible what advise do you have regarding improving my CV. Or do you think its better to swap out of my program to an IM program that has a GI fellowship.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a GI fellow but i can share with you what i came up with from asking around (since i graduated from a small community hospital)

1- i think if you swap to a program that has the fellowship that will be the best thing you can do. most of the GI programs offer 1-3 spots per year, and assuming that that hospital already have a residency program, there is at least one spot going to their resident (so this can be you)

2- Research, Publications, Connections sounds like a big player in your application if you are comming from an "unheard of" hospital. dont waste your 3 years of residency chasing social workers to help discharge your patients so that you can have a low census list.

mmmm, i dont know what else i can add to that