GI vs Pulm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PurplePepper

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So this thread has been made a couple years back.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/gi-vs-pulm-critical-care-specialists.922001/

Like the OP, I hesitate between the two fields. No one from GI pitched in in that thread so I thought I'd bump it up and ask for your opinions.

Here's my take down:

PULM

Pros:

- Simple history&physical. 4 questions to ask :
- The imagery is at the core of your differential. I like that.
- Lung function testing. Managing a lab seems fun.
- Vents/CPAP/BiPAP. Applied physiology is awesome
- Polysomnography and sleep medicine.
- Bronchoscopy
Cons
- Bread and butter of COPD isn't very exciting. Seems like it is the kind of disease other specialities neglect in their notes.
- Not many therapeutic options. It is basically pumps, steroids, antibiotics and anticoagulation (if you mange pulmonary embolism at your shop)
- Not much instant gratification. Bugs me the most I think.

GI
Pros
- Very varied. You have a lot of different organs to take care of.
- Instant gratification via endoscopy. Get rid of that polyp. Stop that ulcer from bleeding.
Cons
-
IBS. Seriously, don't know if I could endure it.
- Alcoholics. Having to come in on a saturday afternoon to take care of your pancreatitis is NOT cool.
- General surgeons. Many GI problems end up needing surgical treatment. That annoys me.

Cheers.
 
Last edited: