Gift ideas for supervisor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacegiraffe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on internship and a forensic evaluator at my site has given me a ton of supervision/training even though he is not my assigned supervisor. I would like to get him something small at the end of internship to thank him. Does anyone have ideas for professional but fun things to give? Has anyone ever received something from a supervisee that they really liked or really didn't like? He has a good sense of humor so ideas for funny gifts are also welcome. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so a neat idea I recommend is going on amazon. On amazon there is a section "gifts for men" and "gifts for women". These are actually super useful, and have popular gifts people buy for both genders. I use this all the time for birthdays, lol

Reactions: 1 user
I once got a supervisor some cycling socks and glass gem corn.

What kinda stuff are they into?

Members don't see this ad :)
I once got a supervisor some cycling socks and glass gem corn.

What kinda stuff are they into?
I don’t know him super well on a personal level so I’m not totally sure. He has a very successful private practice doing forensic evaluations and he works a lot. He was relatively recently board certified in forensic as well. I know he likes to travel, has a 2ish year old kid, and is into video games. He has a super dry sense of humor. I think he would be amused by something cheesy/ironic.

Thank you for your help!

I'm currently on internship and a forensic evaluator at my site has given me a ton of supervision/training even though he is not my assigned supervisor. I would like to get him something small at the end of internship to thank him. Does anyone have ideas for professional but fun things to give? Has anyone ever received something from a supervisee that they really liked or really didn't like? He has a good sense of humor so ideas for funny gifts are also welcome. Thank you!
I never got my supervisors gifts because mine explicitly said they wouldn't accept anything from me, but I did get them a nice card!

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know him super well on a personal level so I’m not totally sure. He has a very successful private practice doing forensic evaluations and he works a lot. He was relatively recently board certified in forensic as well. I know he likes to travel, has a 2ish year old kid, and is into video games. He has a super dry sense of humor. I think he would be amused by something cheesy/ironic.

Thank you for your help!
Get a nice pen for him.

Honestly it sounds old school, but you cant go wrong with a nice gift basket. I used to do godiva gift baskets back in the day for mentors. Most people like food/chocolate.

Back in the day it used to be a fifth of some fine single malt that would be the only appropriate gift....

Reactions: 4 users
I wish a supervisee had gotten me a nice pen. I think I’d like that better than anything else, from a trainee or student. Like a quality pen that both holds well and writes well. I think there’s a thread on this. But these small things make life more pleasant.

Reactions: 3 users
One more idea for me: I bought a door knob bell for my supervisors one year (because they could hang it on their outside private practice office doors, so they hear when someone comes into their office suites). They loved it.

Learn well what they have to teach you, publish like hell, and defend/graduate on time. Those are the "gifts" that matter to them.

As a supervisor, I would appreciate large sums of cash, unfortunately interns are notoriously poor. Seriously though, I have always enjoyed any small token from an appreciative intern because it always communicates that they received something of benefit from the effort and time that we put in. Cards with a few words are nice and help provide us old supervisors with a nice memory cue.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users