Gifts for getting into D-School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWuvTeef

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you gotten gifts from relatives or friends for getting into d-school? If so, what are they? (cars, clothes, private islands... :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get in anywhere yet but my parents got me a Benz to cheer me up :D

Dentist 2 be said:
They could have got a benz for the adcoms to cheer them up, so that you could get in next year :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentist 2 be said:

did you forget the j/k?

Huh? what joke?

My wife just gave me a little long lost thing called sex.

IWuvTeef said:
Have any of you gotten gifts from relatives or friends for getting into d-school? If so, what are they? (cars, clothes, private islands... :laugh: )

After getting the 20GB ipod my parents told me to stop shopping and save money for dental school... :cool:

Red823 said:
After getting the 20GB ipod my parents told me to stop shopping and save money for dental school... :cool:

Wow great job on the DAT man :) if only your PAT was a 25...that would be crazy. How do u like the ipod? I was thinking of picking one up before going to dental school to replace my old mp3 player.

lunguv said:
Wow great job on the DAT man :) if only your PAT was a 25...that would be crazy. How do u like the ipod? I was thinking of picking one up before going to dental school to replace my old mp3 player.

Thanks! :) The ipod is AWESOME! I carry it with me everywhere! You should definitely get an ipod for dental school. It sure would make those endless hours of studying in the library a heck of alot better. And if you love MAC, the new upgraded G4 powerbook are out! Too bad the rumors of the G5 powerbook aren't right...guess they won't be out until next yr...

I just go the iriver 20g and i feel its 100X better than the ipod. Its the same size as ipod too. THe advantage of iriver is that you dont that use any sofware (iriver you need itunes) in order to use it. You just connect it to your pc via a usb cable and you treat it like a normal hard disk. ALl you have to do is drag and drop the files you want on it and you will be able to use them. You can also look at pictures and in the future you will be ablle to download a firmware that allows you to watch movies. The screen is color. Also you can store any type of files. So if you have movie files you want to store, or power point presentations you want to download onto another computer... you can use the iriver as an external hard disk. ALso it has FM tuner, built in microphone for voice recording, and you can also connect it to any aparatus with a microphone jack and it will record from it. Not only that, the best thing I GOT IT FOR $240.00 AT BEST BUY. alot cheaper and better than a 20 gig ipod.

DREDAY said:
I just go the iriver 20g and i feel its 100X better than the ipod. Its the same size as ipod too. THe advantage of iriver is that you dont that use any sofware (iriver you need itunes) in order to use it. You just connect it to your pc via a usb cable and you treat it like a normal hard disk. ALl you have to do is drag and drop the files you want on it and you will be able to use them. You can also look at pictures and in the future you will be ablle to download a firmware that allows you to watch movies. The screen is color. Also you can store any type of files. So if you have movie files you want to store, or power point presentations you want to download onto another computer... you can use the iriver as an external hard disk. ALso it has FM tuner, built in microphone for voice recording, and you can also connect it to any aparatus with a microphone jack and it will record from it. Not only that, the best thing I GOT IT FOR $240.00 AT BEST BUY. alot cheaper and better than a 20 gig ipod.

Ipod, iriver...? I go straight with Treo650. Listen to Mp3(any format, no software), watch movie, fm, video recording, smart phone, take picture, pda, browse internet... I couldn't think of anything you can't do with it. As long as you have sprint or cingular(soon), that thing is the best. Of course, Treo 600 is recomended too.

TucsonDDS said:
My wife just gave me a little long lost thing called sex.

Who's your daddy, i mean dentist

My dentist gave me a book called "Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Occlusal Problems". Sounds like a really quick read, huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Profchaos said:
Ipod, iriver...? I go straight with Treo650. Listen to Mp3(any format, no software), watch movie, fm, video recording, smart phone, take picture, pda, browse internet... I couldn't think of anything you can't do with it. As long as you have sprint or cingular(soon), that thing is the best. Of course, Treo 600 is recomended too.

ehhh the treo's mp3 capabilities are weak. Not only do you need to purchase an expansion pack... it only has 22 mg of memory. In order to store a decent amount of memory you need to buy a memory expansion card which will take it close to or beyond the 500 dollar range. I rather have a pure mp3 player that offers me awesome media capabilities than get a phone where the mp3 player is an afterthoguht.

DREDAY said:
ehhh the treo's mp3 capabilities are weak. Not only do you need to purchase an expansion pack... it only has 22 mg of memory. In order to store a decent amount of memory you need to buy a memory expansion card which will take it close to or beyond the 500 dollar range. I rather have a pure mp3 player that offers me awesome media capabilities than get a phone where the mp3 player is an afterthoguht.

buy sd card, thats as easy as it is. As far as I know, sign a contract with Sprint and get a treo 650 for 399 or something like that, then buy a 512 mb sd card for 30$ on ebay(I got mine for 10$ during thanksgiving at Frys). You get a lot more than a 249$ ipod. I like how sleek ipod is but it's too expensive to buy a lot of songs from itune.

Gifts...none. Just got some nice recognition after four hard working years of college. The best gift for getting into dental school is getting in and that sense of accomplishment. :) It feels damb good!

Profchaos said:
buy sd card, thats as easy as it is. As far as I know, sign a contract with Sprint and get a treo 650 for 399 or something like that, then buy a 512 mb sd card for 30$ on ebay(I got mine for 10$ during thanksgiving at Frys). You get a lot more than a 249$ ipod. I like how sleek ipod is but it's too expensive to buy a lot of songs from itune.

3 Columbia shirts. But I got to stay at the Marriott at all my interviews in anticipation of getting in somewhere.

BUBBLICIOUS said:
Gifts...none. Just got some nice recognition after four hard working years of college. The best gift for getting into dental school is getting in and that sense of accomplishment. :) It feels damb good!

True...

paolorossifan said:
3 Columbia shirts. But I got to stay at the Marriott at all my interviews in anticipation of getting in somewhere.

hehe, I've bought 2 shirts myself. =]

my sis got a new car for getting into vet school. i hope i get a new car. i'll need one since it looks like i will be moving out of sunny FL...i wouldn't trust my '95 corolla on a cross country hike or in the snow! ;)

I got some praises from my family/friends and I treated my self to subway 3 days in a row! Sure beats the crap food im fed at school. HAHA :laugh:

I got my dental school acceptance letters on my 21st birthday! Now that was a sweet birthday present...needless to say, I had A LOT to celebrate that weekend!!

i was taken out to dinner by my friends and will be having a major SMASH DOWN this summer before i leave; i'll will tally the drinks then ;)

Man, I didn't get anything. My parents helped me a little with the airfare for the interviews, and i plan on getting me some U of Maryland basketball shorts soon.

When I got my acceptance letter, my parents told me to go get a job so I did - at McDonald's.

As a proud member of Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, I'm flipping burgers at McD's.

Pikeyman said:
When I got my acceptance letter, my parents told me to go get a job so I did - at McDonald's.

As a proud member of Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, I'm flipping burgers at McD's.

HAHAHA :) building those manual dexterity skills early?!

It gave me the excuse to propose to my gf of 2.5 years...and it really lightened my wallet! :D

Daheinah said:
It gave me the excuse to propose to my gf of 2.5 years...and it really lightened my wallet! :D

Yea it probably gave her the courage to say yes as well!!!

Just kidding.

congrats ! :D

Daheinah said:

congrats!!! i wish my boyfriend felt the same way. he probably wont propose until after i get out of d-school...

I think I got the best gift of all.....

When I got accepted last year, my girlfriend at the time was quite impressed so that night she wanted to play a little foreplay....I was the dentist and she was a hygenist applying for a job.....man oh man, nothing couldve topped that night!!!!

By the way....she got the job ;)

I got a lot of hugs and high-fives... and a promise to have help with tuition. The prospect of cutting down on those loans is the best present I could've gotten :)

billiken10 said:
My dentist gave me a book called "Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Occlusal Problems". Sounds like a really quick read, huh?

What the heck is an occlusal?

Interesting. For me, when I realize I was accepted by NYU, I decided not to tell anyone - especially my parents. So it has been a month and none of my family members know about. However, I do feel different about myself. I have a renewed sense of confidence.
That perhaps is an indirect gift.

My grandma say she'll give me $1000, but it doesn't matter whether if she really does.

Gifts? There not that important for me. I'm just waiting for admission from the schools that I really want to get in.

jk5177 said:
What the heck is an occlusal?
I got a jar full of teeth in formaldehyde. they said i would need them. good luck to all of u.

Occlusal=Biting Surface of your teeth

Yea it probably gave her the courage to say yes as well!!! just kidding :) Congrats
LOL! :laugh:
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that...uh oh, seeds of doubt. ;) :laugh:

congrats!!! i wish my boyfriend felt the same way. he probably wont propose until after i get out of d-school...

Thanks! You never know! My gf had no idea I was going to propose, I think she thought I was going to wait until after D-school as well. I chose some absolutely random day and she was just about blown away. I bet your boyfriend will do the same. ;)
Best of luck,
Greg

Daheinah said:

Oh...man. I have been with my gf for 5 years. I think im going to wait till after dental school though...LOL. If we are still together after dental school, then i have to propose...no choice. I have a feeling she will soon get fed up though ;) and possibly try to get rid of me...HAH good luck!!

Not young enough to get gifts from parents. So I treated myself a new car from saving (I worked for a while) ^_^ mmmm... IS300....

billiken10 said:

Dude, do you know that the book is out of print and it goes for over $400 on half.com???? bn.com has used copies for $150's.
Also, i think i owe you a big thank you for your post... i have been looking for books like this one to read for my research. I think it will be helpful. And i'm not going to buy it, just requested it from UMKC dental school. With more than 600 pages, it for sure wont be an easy read.

billiken10 said:

:laugh: Have you started yet, billiken10?