Gifts for Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiori

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been gifted cash for Christmas, and I want to buy myself some items to make clinical life easier/prettier. Any suggestions?

Don't worry. Most of the money will go to recreational stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you work with kiddos, get a fun treasure box and some little squishy mochi creatures off amazon. I also recommend a testing, do not disturb sign. A good yeti water bottle is also a must.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been gifted cash for Christmas, and I want to buy myself some items to make clinical life easier/prettier. Any suggestions?

If your VA job was anything like mine, a subscription to an e-book service for all of the down time in which you still had to be present in the office. Also, on a somewhat more serious note, Maybe short-term investing that cash for a possible future move into private practice startup.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to gift myself a premium headset and a more comfortable office chair for virtual therapy sessions, but not until January so that I can write it off as a business expense :giggle:

Reactions: 6 users
A good mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Wireless Mouse with Fast Scroll Wheel
And keyboard
Comfortable chair
Quality bluetooth headphones for listening to music from the phone while writing, etc...
Improved lighting with decent light bulbs
Space heater/fans in strategic locations for the intense months if central air/heat is not doing its job well in your office

Reactions: 1 users
Not easier/prettier, but I keep this on my desk and it gives me a heart hug when I need it. You can get it on Amazon for $10.

• Care
Not easier/prettier, but I keep this on my desk and it gives me a heart hug when I need it. You can get it on Amazon for $10.

Mr Rogers... the therapist's therapist. I wonder how Carl Rogers would feel about that?

I think I want an hourglass. Does anyone use one? I'm pretty good at managing the time, but I wonder if it would be nice for clients to have a visual. The VA clocks always seem to be wrong anyway.

Mr Rogers... the therapist's therapist. I wonder how Carl Rogers would feel about that?
God, could you imagine them talking with each other... Someone should make a bumper sticker that says "Rogers and Rogers for president."

I think I want an hourglass. Does anyone use one? I'm pretty good at managing the time, but I wonder if it would be nice for clients to have a visual. The VA clocks always seem to be wrong anyway.

My colleague had (has?) one!

Lots of good ideas already! Others: a sitting/standing desk, fun bookends, a ring light if you do telehealth, and of course, totally non-job related gifts!

Members don't see this ad :)

Snacks. Office slippers to wear between patients. Insulated lunch bag and coffee mug. Office utensils.

il_794xN.3059495633_bdu0.jpg

I may shy away from the hourglass, especially in the VA. This is akin to starting a stopwatch and saying "you've got 50 minutes, go!" Vets already have a chip on their shoulder about the system, you shove something in their face that says, "you are only entitled to this many minutes of my time" for the whole session, and I can see that rubbing many of them the wrong way. Nothing wrong with having a clock in the room, you just always have it behind where the patient sits.

If you have to walk a lot..... gel inserts for your shoes. If you have to sit a lot..... a nicer chair, something to elevate your legs, and a humidifier.

I may shy away from the hourglass, especially in the VA. This is akin to starting a stopwatch and saying "you've got 50 minutes, go!" Vets already have a chip on their shoulder about the system, you shove something in their face that says, "you are only entitled to this many minutes of my time" for the whole session, and I can see that rubbing many of them the wrong way. Nothing wrong with having a clock in the room, you just always have it behind where the patient sits.
I think you are right. I might reserve one for my own home office because I like the look of them. Thanks for the insight!

I think you are right. I might reserve one for my own home office because I like the look of them. Thanks for the insight!
If you are talking office at the VA, a small coffee maker for my office (when I had one there) was money. No needing to run across the hospital for my caffeine.

Lamps to replace harsh overhead lighting! Also decor - framed art/wall hanging/plants - that makes you feel peaceful or energized or whatever you're going for

If you are talking office at the VA, a small coffee maker for my office (when I had one there) was money. No needing to run across the hospital for my caffeine.

Depends on the VA, at one of mine, they cracked down on coffee makers in offices, citing some BS about code violations and such.

Plant people, are there any plants that thrive in windowless offices?

Some of these actually look suprinsingly good. We have some at home, and I once mistakenly watered one!

A good speech-to-text program/application, plus reliable headset-mic combination
I believe the VA will provide something if they accept a job there. And, most system jobs will as well. But if you're doing PP, especially if you do any assessment. Dragon or a similar quality program is awesome. I held on to only typing out reports for far too long.

How is the learning curve on Dragon? It's tempting.

Dragon is super easy to use. It can be a little clunky right of the bat, but after the first time it calibrates (after X amount of time dictating) it improves dramatically. If you speak softly and/or quickly, you may need to adjust your speech while dictating.

Dragon is super easy to use. It can be a little clunky right of the bat, but after the first time it calibrates (after X amount of time dictating) it improves dramatically. If you speak softly and/or quickly, you may need to adjust your speech while dictating.
I speak softly and quickly, so that is helpful to know. Thank you!

How is the learning curve on Dragon? It's tempting.
It's not bad - Just keep a little list of things you can say. A good headset is a must. Training names can be obnoxious - but that's not dragon's fault.

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge. I've used transcription services for years, but I know speech to text has improved in the 10+ years since I've used Dragon regularly.

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge. I've used transcription services for years, but I know speech to text has improved in the 10+ years since I've used Dragon regularly.

Yeah, and it's relatively cheap. You don't need the medical version btw, my regular version works just fine, even for medical terminology.

It's not bad - Just keep a little list of things you can say. A good headset is a must. Training names can be obnoxious - but that's not dragon's fault.
Once I was using dragon to enter a history/current concerns for a little guy who got overly focused on climbing and jumping off of chairs and step ladders. I dictated that he liked to "climb on chairs and ladders." Dragon transcribed that this 2 y.o. boy like to "climb on CHEERLEADERS." Lesson is to enunciate and proofread.

Once I was using dragon to enter a history/current concerns for a little guy who got overly focused on climbing and jumping off of chairs and step ladders. I dictated that he liked to "climb on chairs and ladders." Dragon transcribed that this 2 y.o. boy like to "climb on CHEERLEADERS." Lesson is to enunciate and proofread.
Is it or is this 2 y.o. LEGEN...wait for it....DARY:lol: (I've been watching too many HIMYM reruns recently).

I had a pothos that survived and grew in a windowless office for years! Philodendron and Snake plants should work too. Just be very minimal with watering in a no-light situation.

A grow light is necessary where there’s no natural light sources. There are many different kinds, but the ones with red/blue/purple light are ideal. There are some that operate on a timer and turn on/off at the same time every day. I bought one (for home use) from Amazon for ~$20 and I use it indoors on cloudy days or times of the year where there’s less sunlight coming in. It has a clip so it can be anchored just about anywhere.

God, could you imagine them talking with each other... Someone should make a bumper sticker that says "Rogers and Rogers for president."

Not quite Rogers and Rogers, but there was a brief period of time where Fred Rogers, Erik Eriksen, and Benjamin Spock were all working together at the same therapeutic school in Pittsburgh.

Depends on the VA, at one of mine, they cracked down on coffee makers in offices, citing some BS about code violations and such.
My VA actually had a coffee maker that started a fire overnight in one of the other sections of the clinic.

So yeah, they really cracked down on coffee makers, microwaves, and space heaters after that.

My VA actually had a coffee maker that started a fire overnight in one of the other sections of the clinic.

So yeah, they really cracked down on coffee makers, microwaves, and space heaters after that.

Was this back in like 2014/15? Were y'all the ones who ruined it for the rest of us!?!

A grow light is necessary where there’s no natural light sources. There are many different kinds, but the ones with red/blue/purple light are ideal. There are some that operate on a timer and turn on/off at the same time every day. I bought one (for home use) from Amazon for ~$20 and I use it indoors on cloudy days or times of the year where there’s less sunlight coming in. It has a clip so it can be anchored just about anywhere.
Ha! My sister got my this little hydroponic kit. I think I'm gonna put it on my desk and grow herbs and stuff. My microwave tomales are gonna get some fresh chilis and cilantro.

1) A really comfortable chair.
2) One of those electronic coasters that keeps your drink warm
3) A white noise machine that has been reprogrammed to play the old Windows start up song when the session starts, and plays the Jeopardy song in the last 5 minutes.
4) A wine dispenser, and an Icee machine. If you have like $10k.

1) A really comfortable chair.
2) One of those electronic coasters that keeps your drink warm
3) A white noise machine that has been reprogrammed to play the old Windows start up song when the session starts, and plays the Jeopardy song in the last 5 minutes.
4) A wine dispenser, and an Icee machine. If you have like $10k.
The wife and I have Ember mugs that we bought as Christmas presents a couple of years ago. I don't think they are worth the money, but it is a nice convenience as I like to sip on my coffee during therapy sessions.

All the chair recommendations have my current home office chair threatening to give up on me. Any favorites?

All the chair recommendations have my current home office chair threatening to give up on me. Any favorites?
Herman Miller from an office shutting down on craigslist/offer up/FBM