Girls: skirts vs. pants?

Started by deschutes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I may be allowed to jump the gun:

I trawled the depths of the Path forum for an answer to the question of skirtsuits versus pantsuits for gir... I mean, women, and came up with an empty net.

To echo a question on the General Residency forum - does the conservative medical establishment still prefer skirt suits? (I know what Iserson says.) How conservative is Path? What did you see on the interview trail?

I'm getting the impression that in general people do not really care as long as the candidate is neat and professional-looking - but it'd be great to get some confirmation of this.

eor sez it's gonna be a loooooong cooooold winterrr....
 
If I may be permitted to troll into a female thread, most path programs are somewhat casual anyway, as long as you look nice I don't think it much matters. There are some programs which are, by history, more formal. But I don't think pantsuit vs skirt is a big issue. Hilary Clinton wears pantsuits. Go with the skirt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deschutes said:
Well, I certainly don't seem to be bringing any female pathology residents out of the woodwork. I thought there were a few historically??

Hey, there are a couple of us lingering around here. Just wear what you are comfortable in. Keep the weather in mind. If it's cold you might be more comfortable in a pantsuit, but in warmer weather a skirt might be cooler.

I had several suits for interviews, and I switched between skirt and pants depending on my mood. Of course, I never got any feedback on what I wore. After all, it's not like the interviewers were going to say anything to my face if they didn't like my outfit. Seriously, I don't think anyone cares, as long as you look polished and confident. If you are wearing a well-fitting suit of a somewhat conservative color (i.e. black, blue, brown, beige..), no one will even notice what you're wearing, much less criticize it.
 
Must continue to work on achieving "polished" and "confident"...

There's a PGY-1 in our program who came for electives wearing a bowtie and continues to wears bowties to work. I don't know what he wore on Interview Day. Apparently he prefers not to have the bottom third of his tie smell like cadaver.

I am told he also listed "Go" under hobbies/interests on his application.

He matched! 🙂 Which if nothing else tells you that we have a cool program 🙂