Step I Gitelman and Thiazides - Why hypomagnesemia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

woof_iamadog

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright so with Gitelman/Thiazides I understand that we are blocking Na+/Cl- cotransporter in the DCT. This causes the following effects according to FA 2018: Hypokalemia, Metabolic Alkalosis, Hypomagnesemia, Hypocalciuria.

My understanding so far:
Increased Na+ in DCT -->

(1) upregulated RAAS (increased aldosterone) --> increased activity of ENaC, ROMK in DCT, and Na/K ATPase in DCT --> Hypokalemia --> increased K+/H+ exchanger activity --> increased H+ secretion and increased HCO3- reabsorption --> Metabolic alkalosis

(2) increased activity of Na+/Ca+ exchanger in DCT --> Hypercalcemia / Hypocalciuria

But where does hypomagnesemia come in?

I apologize for any mistakes in the above.