Give me Your Knowledge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caribbeanitis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Canadian from Caribbean school here, Im really want to be a family medicine doc, but it seems there are not allot of slots open for this speciality in the US, or am i wrong, it seems IM is easier to get into. can i go from IM to FM? i know allot of the IMG friendly states are in the north, and i should apply broadly, but i want some place in the south, maybe TX or GA or FL. My question is other then doing super well on Step 1; which is one semester away for me, what can i do to make my self more attractive to residency committees (or whatever you call them), i don't want any super awesome high tier position i just want a position the first time i apply, and im trying get a head start.

can you help me, any advise or experiences.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

FM is easier

don't be weird

Reactions: 2 users
Apparently you have done zero research into this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently you have done zero research into this.
Clearly, or else they would realize that Canada just restricted the number of FM and IM statement of needs for visa's, from unlimited endorsement to 200 or something.
They will need to obliterate step1 at this point

Hello,
Canadian from Caribbean school here, Im really want to be a family medicine doc, but it seems there are not allot of slots open for this speciality in the US, or am i wrong, it seems IM is easier to get into. can i go from IM to FM? i know allot of the IMG friendly states are in the north, and i should apply broadly, but i want some place in the south, maybe TX or GA or FL. My question is other then doing super well on Step 1; which is one semester away for me, what can i do to make my self more attractive to residency committees (or whatever you call them), i don't want any super awesome high tier position i just want a position the first time i apply, and im trying get a head start.

can you help me, any advise or experiences.

Thanks

I think the 'super awesome high tier position' door has been closed. you'll be lucky to get into a malignantresidency.com IMG-mill.

nothing useful (except for immigration thing which is not applicable to me for other reasons), understand that the reason people do poorly in terms of matching is because they sucked in the first place, wether its a diploma mill or not means nothing.
i was curious after i posed this to see how many people would actually give me some meaningfull input, and not just put me down based on the school i come from. it seems that some people on SDN just love inflating their ego.

Last edited:
nothing useful (except for immigration thing which is not applicable to me for other reasons), understand that the reason people do poorly in terms of matching is because they sucked in the first place, wether its a diploma mill or not means nothing.
i was curious after i posed this to see how many people would actually give me some meaningfull input, and not just put me down based on the school i come from. it seems that some people on SND just love inflating their ego.

Nothing to do with the school you're from, everything to do with the fact that you think FM spots are hard to come by. Takes 5 seconds of googling to realize this is not the case.

i was curious after i posed this to see how many people would actually give me some meaningfull input, and not just put me down based on the school i come from. it seems that some people on SND just love inflating their ego.
honestly-please look up the recent JI/SoN restrictions health canada enacted for Canadians in the US. Doesn't matter if you went to harvard or Saba, Canada is ONLY sponsoring residency for ~200Canadians in family or IM compared to the unlimited # last year

Reactions: 1 user
honestly-please look up the recent JI/SoN restrictions health canada enacted for Canadians in the US. Doesn't matter if you went to harvard or Saba, Canada is ONLY sponsoring residency for ~200Canadians in family or IM compared to the unlimited # last year
Yeah, you're right, but whether he gets a 270 or 190 it doesnt effect whether or not he gets an SoN, it decides on whether he gets a residency to ask for an SoN in the first place. But you're right that they put on a limit and its terrifying lol

Yeah, you're right, but whether he gets a 270 or 190 it doesnt effect whether or not he gets an SoN, it decides on whether he gets a residency to ask for an SoN in the first place. But you're right that they put on a limit and its terrifying lol
Exactly-thats my point. They should know that its all going to come down to timing and luck for getting that SoN, not them as an applicant

oh first come first serve, is this meant to keep more doctors in Canada or what, there are not enough residency spots in Canada anyway

Last edited:
Can you link the place where it says Canada is limiting those SoC position to 200? I Looked on google and Couldnt find it anywhere