Give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsplayer24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys have ever thought of giving up? I was sitting here at the library studying for this psychology test and I was just thinking. Im a freshmen I got under a 3 last year for my GPA. This semester isn't going terrific, Im looking to end up with most likely a 3.4. Im currently a UT austin but trasnfering to the university of houston. Because next month Im taking an 8 hr course by the Texas general dental association to become a dental assistant and I am vollenteering at the houston homeless clinic as a dental assistant, those are the reasons im transferring. Now for the giving up part, have you guys ever thought about...forget it. Because my gpa sucks and Im just worried that my future as a dentist does not look good. Im a sports administration major currently im doing it because its fun and I like it, but mainly because I want to be a dentist and thought it was an easy major. But should I switch just in case something happens? My GPA is really worrying me and next year my gpa starts fresh there, but my overall gpa will transfer to a + - scale. Where my gpa will be a little lower then it should hear. Just need some help guys, am I worrying to much, thanks guys. BTW I think my gpa may be around a 3.0 or 2.9 in a +- scale, im doing all of those extra curricular the entire year. Which was one of my reasons to come back to Houston. And overall UT is a much much better school then UH, does that matter? :(

Members don't see this ad.

well first off, you have plenty of time to get that GPA up if you are only a freshman. A little word of encouragement... I did it and you can as well. I had a semester with a 2.9 and pulled it up (got accepted to my top choice, plus 7 others).

If this is what you want to do, get involved now. FInd a local dentist, take classes that will prepare you for d-school and for the DAT, get involved in some school activities.

I think you will be fine... just take time to visualize your goals, if you want it badly enough you will will do it. and remember if it doesn't happen the 1st time aorund, improve your application and try again.

How many of you guys have ever thought of giving up? I was sitting here at the library studying for this psychology test and I was just thinking. Im a freshmen I got under a 3 last year for my GPA. This semester isn't going terrific, Im looking to end up with most likely a 3.4. Im currently a UT austin but trasnfering to the university of houston. Because next month Im taking an 8 hr course by the Texas general dental association to become a dental assistant and I am vollenteering at the houston homeless clinic as a dental assistant, those are the reasons im transferring. Now for the giving up part, have you guys ever thought about...forget it. Because my gpa sucks and Im just worried that my future as a dentist does not look good. Im a sports administration major currently im doing it because its fun and I like it, but mainly because I want to be a dentist and thought it was an easy major. But should I switch just in case something happens? My GPA is really worrying me and next year my gpa starts fresh there, but my overall gpa will transfer to a + - scale. Where my gpa will be a little lower then it should hear. Just need some help guys, am I worrying to much, thanks guys. BTW I think my gpa may be around a 3.0 or 2.9 in a +- scale, im doing all of those extra curricular the entire year. Which was one of my reasons to come back to Houston. And overall UT is a much much better school then UH, does that matter? :(

I have always thought about giving up.... but you have to learn to trust your abilities. One person on here once told me 2 years ago that anything is possible. So my story goes a little like this: My 1st year and 2nd year I had a GPA of around 2.66 or so.....I really knew I had to get my @ss in gear and so I did... I did a complete turn around. From that moment that person told me to get all A's for 2 years, although I didn't think it would be possible, it happened. I worked sooo hard and achieved a ~ 3.8 an 4.0 . in the following two years. You have to continuously keep trying... don't let anything set you back. If you want it enough, you can have it. The moment you start thinking you cant do something, what good does that do? Stay positive and you can achieve anything.

That being said, I have taken the DAT 3 times now and I am getting very ill of it. My GPA is now around a 3.3 and I am very happy that my trend increased so significantly. LIkewise for the DAT, it just means I have to study harder and better. Am I upset, yes... but at the same time I know I want to go into dentistry, so I know that this is just another thing I have to picture myself doing well at.

In your case, continue to just strive for high marks. Volunteering is fantastic, because it gives you the opportunity to visualize yourself in the profession. I try to volunteer at the dental office as much as I can, because it gets me thinking about other things rather than school.

So, just keep trying. If you want it, go get it.

good luck eh!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be so hard on yourself. There are plenty of freshmen who have a rocky start to college. Now you know where you stand and where you need to go. Make sure you do well from now on. You may have to pass up on partying and hanging out a little more than other students to do well in the courses. It's too early to throw the towel.

Jaba, I must say that I admire your determination and you will make a great dentist someday because of that - Good luck with your applications this year.
Sportsplayer24, If you can have an attitude like Jaba you will be just fine. Like MiztiKatz says, if you want it badly enough you will will do it.
You can do anything and you are lucky that you are thinking ahead and planning for the future because you still have a lot of time. Set some good realistic goals for yourself and stick to them. Anything is possible!

Thanks guys. Im doing some big time extra curricular activites like Dental Assisting at the homeless clinic. Im also working as a dental assistant at a dental clinic. Next year I know what i have to do, so I really need to turn it up. One of the main reasons im getting away from Ut austin is also because of partying, having fun, and the city itself is just to fun and my close friends here are all like lazy. So hopefully next year I will be better, as I will be at a place with no close friends, and im roomates with a couple of guys that study hardcore. Thanks for the encouragment guys

Jaba, I must say that I admire your determination and you will make a great dentist someday because of that - Good luck with your applications this year.
Sportsplayer24, If you can have an attitude like Jaba you will be just fine. Like MiztiKatz says, if you want it badly enough you will will do it.
You can do anything and you are lucky that you are thinking ahead and planning for the future because you still have a lot of time. Set some good realistic goals for yourself and stick to them. Anything is possible!

THnx! I know I still have a bit of a bumpy road ahead, but its a lot better than where I was 2 years ago for sure! But i'm just proof that it can be done. I'll keep everyone on here posted.

good luck to ya in 1st year at UoP!

Oh yeah guys, and the transferring I'm doing that I mentioned in my fist 2 posts in here isn't bad right, like it won't hurt me will it?

Oh yeah guys, and the transferring I'm doing that I mentioned in my fist 2 posts in here isn't bad right, like it won't hurt me will it?
No. Only if you were dismissed or withdrew for punitive reasons should this be an issue. Just do not overlook an explanation in your personal statement/interview. I transferred from UVa to a small liberal arts college for familial reasons. That was the best decision I have ever made. I was accepted at all of the schools that interviewed me, and not once did my transfer look poorly to the adcom.

Im a sports administration major currently im doing it because its fun and I like it, but mainly because I want to be a dentist and thought it was an easy major.

Great reason to pick a major.

Dental school is a tough experience, why would you want to prepare for that with an easy major?

Last edited:
Great reason to pick a major.

doesnt really sound that bad of a reason to pick a major. why would he want to kill himself in a major like Aerospace eng. while taking all pre-reqs for dental school when he has no intention of being an aerospace engineer?

Everyone has doubts at one point.

HOWEVER, Full Bore is the only way to go. This is not the time to screw around, you must get very serious and sacrifice certain things in order to make it into dental school. This is only the beginning, and it will only get harder and harder from here on out. So make your decision, and fully dedicate yourself towards reaching your goal.