I wanted to be a pediatrician from the time I was 7- mine was mean, and I was going to be a nice one. Entered a med scholars program in college, and elected to take accelerated general chem and bio (chem I/II in one semester, same with bio- they went lightning speed). Stupid decision for me, as I am kind of chem-challenged and did not do well (did fine in bio). At 18, this felt like the end of the world, so I got out. My pre-med advisor gave me some really good advice about finding a new field, and I pursued my bachelors and masters, and have been working in that field for almost 10 years.
I love what I do, and I will miss it, although I will be able to apply some of my current professional skills to medicine, so that makes it a little easier. I know people who were leaving my current field after a year or two, or never even working in it, and I couldn't understand that- I said that I wouldn't leave unless something really came up and hit me in the face. In stepped medicine again... Once the seed was planted, I couldn't get it out of my head. I made the decision to go back to school for multiple reasons- both professional and personal- and am glad, but admittedly a bit scared. I started out by re-taking bio I, kind of like sticking my big toe into the pool to see if it was safe. Loved it, so I've continued on. Perhaps pediatrics, perhaps not.

to everyone on here- your stories are interesting and inspiring
🙂
oh- and to toss in- I have retaken bio I/II and chem I/II for several reasons- first, especially in bio, things have changed a LOT in the last 15 years- it was very different. Second, I practically failed chem the first time (lowest C possible, and that was a generous gift), so I knew I hadn't actually
learned it and needed to do that. And third, on my undergrad transcript, they appear as 1 class worth 5 credit hours each- which means it would look to all med schools (except my ugrad's school) as if I only took one semester of each. (And they don't even offer them anymore due to the difficulty of the class.)