giving oral meds to kids - need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no pharmacy forum...

any suggestions on how to give kids / toddlers (12-36 mos) oral meds without a fight. Specifically; ibuprofin, benadryl, tylenol.

The kid doesn't like chewables, won't drink meds from a cup and is combative when given meds orally w/ a syringe/dropper.
What are potential interactions of mixing liquid suspensions w/ ginger ale, jelly, etc. Anything that would nullify/alter the desired outcome?

Any suggestions welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll answer this as a MOM of a 2 1/2 y/o and as an Intern;
The best way is to use a dropper. If you have to, hold them down (it is actually quite funny when it is your own child). The key is to get the dropper far enough in the mouth and near the buccal mucosa; they basically have to swallow the medicine that way. It is not that bad, trust me. I have done it to my own child, plus I have done it in the clinic.
Hope all goes well!

I agree with Denise, as the dad of 2 kids with a wife who doesn't have the heart to wrestle with our young'uns I've been there done that plenty of times. In my estimation there's no easy way to do it. Here's what works for me...it sounds rough but I've perfected my technique through many bouts of otitis media. Tylenol for infants is good since it is very concentrated, but it doesn't last as long as ibuprofin. Anyway, I always lay them on their back, prop their head on a pillow and straddle them pinning their arms to their sides with my legs. It's a piece of cake from here, hold their head still with one hand and stick the dropper or syringe in pointing towards their cheek and fire it in there. If they don't immediately swallow it, blow a quick burst of air into their face and it causes them to swallow. The key is in the timing, just hurry up and get it over with minimal delay and they'll forget about it in no time...drag it out and it turns into a regular WWF cage match. Oh yeah, you probably don't want to try this technique on someone else's kid in clinic...them damned lawyers or vermin as klebsiella might say will be beating down your door in no time!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a mom of a 21 month year old, I agree with the above methods. However, I'm going to add one thing: don't give too much medicine at once - they'll gag. Squirt it in by thirds, aiming for the cheek.

Although, I'm going to brag, my lil'un LOVES to take medicine...never had any problems there. She sees the syringe and opens her mouth up like a little fish. :)

As a 22 year-old who refused to take any sort of medication as a child, here is a suggestion that does not include a dropper. (Side note- I still don't take medicine and I didn't until I learned how to swallow pills. I don't take Chloraceptic, cough drops, Nyquil, etc. I just suffer to this day!)

Anyway, my mom used to take the medicine and mix it with condensed milk. The sweetened stuff that is thick, Borden's, I think? It sounds disgusting, but somehow I used to take it and that was the only way.

So, if the medicine dropper doesn't work, that is one method to try.