Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wanted to get your opinion on giving IV medications po or sublingually...is it usually okay to do so?
The main medications I have seen this done with are obviously vancomycin and also dexamethasone in children. I have tried searching for info online regarding this and the only main points I can come up with are:
a) bioavailability of the drug via the oral route
b) considerations regarding preservatives/alcohol content if it's a pediatric patient and
c) palatability
Any thoughts or experience with this?
The main medications I have seen this done with are obviously vancomycin and also dexamethasone in children. I have tried searching for info online regarding this and the only main points I can come up with are:
a) bioavailability of the drug via the oral route
b) considerations regarding preservatives/alcohol content if it's a pediatric patient and
c) palatability
Any thoughts or experience with this?