glaucoma treatment question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
I dont understand how epinephrine can treat glaucoma. Epinephrine would dilate the pupil, which can caute the acute closed angle glaucoma. So....how can it treat glaucoma?

Members don't see this ad.

so I'll take a stab... first of all, don't use EPI in closed angle glaucoma, it's meant for open angle (the slow progressive form of eventual blockage of aq. humor outflow). Epinephrine simply increases this outflow, probably by uveoscleral veins (according to Trevor/Katzung) -but it's contraindicated in closed angle

I didn't exactly find direct mechanism for how this works, but from First Aid, Lippincott Pharm Cards and Trevor/Katzung, that's about all I could find

so I'll take a stab... first of all, don't use EPI in closed angle glaucoma, it's meant for open angle (the slow progressive form of eventual blockage of aq. humor outflow). Epinephrine simply increases this outflow, probably by uveoscleral veins (according to Trevor/Katzung) -but it's contraindicated in closed angle

I didn't exactly find direct mechanism for how this works, but from First Aid, Lippincott Pharm Cards and Trevor/Katzung, that's about all I could find

Epinephrine = increased aqueous outflow via canal of schlemm = lowered IOP.