GLP-1 potentiators and the pancreas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Praziquantel86

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd be interested to hear the opinions of people that know more about diabetes than I do - what are your thoughts on the supposed link between incretin mimetics/DPP-IV inhibitors and pancreatic neoplasms? A large amount of data seems to link the drugs with pre-cancerous (and in some cases cancerous) changes to the pancreas, but this has yet to be borne out in a large-scale setting.

I personally would not want to be on these drugs given my knowledge of the topic, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of the group.

An excellent review on the topic for those who have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3680
 
I don't have any input here but thanks for sharing the link! I heard a patient in my pharmacy asking the pharmacist about their Januvia a while back because they saw a TV ad soliciting plaintiffs for a lawsuit over the pancreatic cancer link, and now I know the context of this. (The pharmacist seemed completely unaware of the issue.)

Also, I have to say I think the Gila monster is adorable in its own disgusting way.