Glucokinase & Hexokinase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreigndentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think both the enzymes are present in liver.
When glucose level ishigh Glucokinase is active coz high Km.
When in postabsorptive state gluckokinase is dormant coz of low affinity(means high km) & Hexokinase has high affinity(low Km) for glucose & functions close to its maximal velocity.:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I did not exaclty get u, but i think glucokinase in liver is known as hexokinase. Glucokinase is induced by insulin and hexokinase is inhibited by glucose 6 phosphate. plz correct if am wrong.

I did not exaclty get u, but i think glucokinase in liver is known as hexokinase. Glucokinase is induced by insulin and hexokinase is inhibited by glucose 6 phosphate. plz correct if am wrong.
Glucokinase (GK) is a hexokinase isozyme, related homologously and presumably by evolution to at least three other hexokinases. However, it is coded by a separate gene and its distinctive kinetic properties allow it to serve a very different set of functions. All of the hexokinases can mediate phosphorylation of glucose to glucose-6-phosphate (G6P), which is the first step of both glycogen synthesis and glycolysis. However, the lower affinity for glucose of glucokinase compared to the other hexokinases, and the restricted localization of glucokinase to a few cell types leaves the role of the other three hexokinase forms ascribed to being more important initiators of glycolysis and glycogen synthesis for most tissues and organs.