gluconeogenesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baedero1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
occur in the LIVER or CYTOSOL? or BOTH?
can any1 explain?

Members don't see this ad.

Well considering that the liver is made of cells, those cells have cytosol, and gluconeogenesis occurs in the cytosol, I would say both.

it occurs in the liver, isnt it the process when non carbohydrate sources are used??

Members don't see this ad :)
gluconeogenesis is when you make glucose from scratch de novo pathway. You can take a C skeleton, for example, from an amino acid and make glucose.

haha so this is prally really ******ed but w/e.....why cant animal cell produce glucose from gluconeogenisis....if it occurs in the liver and if animal have liver....whats stopping em?

because I think gluconeogenesis occurs during like fasting, meaning you didnt eat for a while and you dont have nutrients such as glucose from food, therefore your body takes a different approach, gluconeogenesis, where it makes glucose derivatives from non-carbohydrates like fats, proteins, etc...

This is what I think, but iam not completely sure someone correct me if I am wrong...thanks but good question btw

Answer is both cytosol and the liver.

osimsDDS, through gluconeogensis you can make actual glucose.

haha so this is prally really ******ed but w/e.....why cant animal cell produce glucose from gluconeogenisis....if it occurs in the liver and if animal have liver....whats stopping em?
gluconeogenesis does not necessary mean that the cell take CO2 and make glucose. they can break down glycogen or fat to make glucose or protein to make glucose...

Gluconeogenisis is the process of turning pyruvate molecules back to glucose. Anything that can be made into an intermediate of the Kreb cycle can go through gluconeogenisis. However, acetyl Co-A can not enter gluconeogenisis.