Glutamate and OCD (Title edited)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really love to do more investigating on this subject... Attached an interesting article. Perhaps anti-glutamatergic agents would have some efficacy in treating OCD? Anyone else heard of such a thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• glutamate.ocd.pdf
    115 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I believe you're referring to glutamate, not glutamine though the two can be converted into the other. Glutamine is an amino acid though the two are so similar.

This neurotransmitter is something of a possible next frontier in psychopharmacological treatments. It's involved in all the mental illnesses but no one has yet been able to make a medication that exploits it for depression, psychosis, OCD, among other disorders.

I sat through a lecture with a notable researcher (and darnit I forgot his name) on future treatments for depression and he mentioned that he believes SSRIs have reached a saturation point where the market forces don't warrant pharmaceutical companies to make new ones. With equal efficacy with all SSRIs, several SSRIs available now for $4 a month, a good choice among them and other antidepressants, it's not cost-effective. Many of the upcoming meds for depression are merely planned to be a combination of buspirone (that costs $4 a month) with an existing SSRI that will likely cost a few hundred dollars a month, be given a flashy new name (Sexagasm, Benecrack, Cocajuana, Lucioushotbab) and be prescribed by doctors not bright enough to figure out it's just two $4 meds put into one.

This researcher mentioned that glutamate is the next obvious choice in developing a new antidepressant but the trick whenever a med was developed that worked on this NT, not one yet was been found to provide a benefit. Ketamine works on this NT and there is data suggesting it can provide psychiatric benefits though it's potential for abuse will make using it for such like holding the wolf by the ears.

In effect, the success of SSRIs may put an unintended roadblock to research new meds since the costs are expensive and the profit margins will not be as high.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of treatment resistant OCD...

I had a guy come into the unit today with OCD and every single SSRI and SNRI has been tried with no success or he had to stop it because he couldn't urinate while on the med. I'm trying him on Luvox and my reasoning is because that's the only one that didn't reach the maximum dosage while on it and he didn't have any side effects to it.

I'm hoping this is not going to be my first OCD case where I have the guy do ECT or psychosurgery to treat it. I'm going to give Namenda a try if the Luvox doesn't work or only partially works.

Speaking of treatment resistant OCD...

I had a guy come into the unit today with OCD and every single SSRI and SNRI has been tried with no success or he had to stop it because he couldn't urinate while on the med. I'm trying him on Luvox and my reasoning is because that's the only one that didn't reach the maximum dosage while on it and he didn't have any side effects to it.

I'm hoping this is not going to be my first OCD case where I have the guy do ECT or psychosurgery to treat it. I'm going to give Namenda a try if the Luvox doesn't work or only partially works.

The SSRI class doesn't seem to be worth much for OCD. I've seen a number of patients who don't respond or the few that do experience only very mild symptom relief.

From what I've heard, Deep Brain Stimulation is the frontier for treatment resistant OCD

Somewhat relatedly NAC is being seriously looked at for trichotillomania