Glycoproteins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was a bit confused about glycoproteins.

What is the difference between "O" linked and "N" linked glycoproteins? Is it just a difference in the type of amino acid they are linked to?

Anything else that might be of importance regarding glycoproteins??

Members don't see this ad.

The addition of sugar chains can happen either at asparagine, and is termed N-glycosylation, or at hydroxylysine, hydroxyproline, serine, or threonine, and is termed O-glycosylation

hope that helps..i'm studyin the same thing right now and i got to RFU..:)

InternationlDoc said:
The addition of sugar chains can happen either at asparagine, and is termed N-glycosylation, or at hydroxylysine, hydroxyproline, serine, or threonine, and is termed O-glycosylation

hope that helps..i'm studyin the same thing right now and i got to RFU..:)

Hahaha.....wow i go to RFU also!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they differ in which amino acid the sugar is linked to --- but just remember that the major reason for differenting the two types of glycosylation is that they occur in different locations (N-glycosylation initially occurs in the RER, O-glycosylation in the Golgi).

NRAI2001 said:
Hahaha.....wow i go to RFU also!!

They also differ in other ways including where the glycosylation occurs (o-linked in Golgi, n-linked in ER) and in the actual synthesis process. I believe o-linked are synthesized 1 sugar at a time while n-linked are pre-synthesized on dolichol and are then transferred onto the amino acid. (It's been awhile since I've studied this so you'll have to verify.)

PuGanDoo said:
They also differ in other ways including where the glycosylation occurs (o-linked in Golgi, n-linked in ER) and in the actual synthesis process. I believe o-linked are synthesized 1 sugar at a time while n-linked are pre-synthesized on dolichol and are then transferred onto the amino acid. (It's been awhile since I've studied this so you'll have to verify.)

correct. Its not template based but sequential and n-linked are pre-synthesized on dolichol...wow

just a general question...HOW THE HECK U GUYS CAN RMR ALL THIS!?? (i do cuz i read it like yesterday)

Can i get advice on a few memorization techniques?