Glycoproteins

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by NRAI2001, Aug 5, 2006.

1. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Was a bit confused about glycoproteins.

What is the difference between "O" linked and "N" linked glycoproteins? Is it just a difference in the type of amino acid they are linked to?

Anything else that might be of importance regarding glycoproteins??

2. InternationlDoc

InternationlDoc Imported like a Ferrari
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The addition of sugar chains can happen either at asparagine, and is termed N-glycosylation, or at hydroxylysine, hydroxyproline, serine, or threonine, and is termed O-glycosylation

hope that helps..i'm studyin the same thing right now and i got to RFU..:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Hahaha.....wow i go to RFU also!!

4. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, they differ in which amino acid the sugar is linked to --- but just remember that the major reason for differenting the two types of glycosylation is that they occur in different locations (N-glycosylation initially occurs in the RER, O-glycosylation in the Golgi).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PuGanDoo

PuGanDoo Pet Psychic
    5+ Year Member

They also differ in other ways including where the glycosylation occurs (o-linked in Golgi, n-linked in ER) and in the actual synthesis process. I believe o-linked are synthesized 1 sugar at a time while n-linked are pre-synthesized on dolichol and are then transferred onto the amino acid. (It's been awhile since I've studied this so you'll have to verify.)

6. InternationlDoc

InternationlDoc Imported like a Ferrari
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

correct. Its not template based but sequential and n-linked are pre-synthesized on dolichol...wow

just a general question...HOW THE HECK U GUYS CAN RMR ALL THIS!?? (i do cuz i read it like yesterday)

Can i get advice on a few memorization techniques?